OpenRecordset and SQL Table w/ IDENTITY Column
Author Message
 OpenRecordset and SQL Table w/ IDENTITY Column

When trying to execute the OpenRecordset method on a table that has an
IDENTITY column, an error occurs with the message 'You must use the
dbSeeChanges option when trying to select data from a table that has an
IDENTITY column',  (or something similar) and an error code of 3622.

KB article Q190620 admits that this is a defect and 'addressing the
problem'.  This article also suggests the obvious work around of adding the
'dbSeeChanges' to the options parameter of the OpenRecordset method.
However, code changes are not an option for me.

Does anyone have any insight on how to correct this situation?

Thanks.

-Steve

Steven D. Clark
612-782-6425 (W)
612-701-9009 (M)

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OpenRecordset and SQL Table w/ IDENTITY Column

Quote:
> However, code changes are not an option for me.

Seems to me that you put yourself at a huge disadvantage, then.

Why wouldn't any slight code change be possible?  Has the author locked
you out of the code?

--
Paul Bredbury, http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/brebs/

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OpenRecordset and SQL Table w/ IDENTITY Column
1. Change the code. (I don't undestand why it isn't an option. Maybe because
you didn't explain why.)
2. Change the table to drop the Identity column.
Quote:

>When trying to execute the OpenRecordset method on a table that has an
>IDENTITY column, an error occurs with the message 'You must use the
>dbSeeChanges option when trying to select data from a table that has an
>IDENTITY column',  (or something similar) and an error code of 3622.

>KB article Q190620 admits that this is a defect and 'addressing the
>problem'.  This article also suggests the obvious work around of adding the
>'dbSeeChanges' to the options parameter of the OpenRecordset method.
>However, code changes are not an option for me.

>Does anyone have any insight on how to correct this situation?

>Thanks.

>-Steve

>Steven D. Clark
>612-782-6425 (W)
>612-701-9009 (M)

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OpenRecordset and SQL Table w/ IDENTITY Column
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

>1. Change the code. (I don't undestand why it isn't an option. Maybe
because
>you didn't explain why.)

I have a 3rd-party application (Transformer by Cognos) that is using DAO to
access data in a SQL Server.  This is why I cannot change the code.

Quote:
>2. Change the table to drop the Identity column.

I need the column attribute for primary and surrogate keys, and I haven't
found a way to easily drop and re-add it.

-Steve

Steven D. Clark
612-782-6425 (W)
612-701-9009 (M)

Sun, 30 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OpenRecordset and SQL Table w/ IDENTITY Column
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

>1. Change the code. (I don't undestand why it isn't an option. Maybe
because
>you didn't explain why.)

I have a 3rd-party application (Transformer by Cognos) that is using DAO to
access data in a SQL Server.  This is why I cannot change the code.

Quote:
>2. Change the table to drop the Identity column.

I need the column attribute for primary and surrogate keys, and I haven't
found a way to easily drop and re-add it.

-Steve

Steven D. Clark
612-782-6425 (W)
612-701-9009 (M)

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Run time error 3622: OpenRecordSet: SQL server table: IDENTITY column

2. Reset Identity Column in SQL Server table with VB

3. RDO: Connecting to SQL server table containing an identity column

4. error 3622 - table has identity column

5. Getting Column Identity for a table

6. SQL SERVER + IDENTITY column + DbSeeChanges PROBLEM

7. RDO, SQL Server and IDENTITY columns

8. SQL Server/VB (Identity Column)

9. VB 4.0 & SQL Server 6.5 (Identity Column)

10. Getting Identity column in SQL Server

11. SQL Server AddNew Identity Column

12. SQL Identity Column Override