Poor man's e-signature
Author Message
 Poor man's e-signature

I'm using the Forms feature in Word 2000. I have a check
box with an associated macro that runs a msgbox asking for
a password. The purpose is to verify that only the
specified Vice President can place a mark in the checkbox.

It works fine locally, but when I attempt to use the Send
To feature to email it to a Routing List, the macro is
lost. How can I ensure that the macro will stay with the
document when emailed? Or is there another way I could
contrive a poor man's e-signature for internal agency use?

By the way we're using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000 on
a Windows 2000 network with 2000 and 98 workstations.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:27:21 GMT
 Poor man's e-signature
Hi Jeff

As long as the template the document is attached to is distributed
throughout your company, then the macros stored in the template will be
available, whoever in the company opens it.

Regards

Dave

| I'm using the Forms feature in Word 2000. I have a check
| box with an associated macro that runs a msgbox asking for
| a password. The purpose is to verify that only the
| specified Vice President can place a mark in the checkbox.
|
| It works fine locally, but when I attempt to use the Send
| To feature to email it to a Routing List, the macro is
| lost. How can I ensure that the macro will stay with the
| document when emailed? Or is there another way I could
| contrive a poor man's e-signature for internal agency use?
|
| By the way we're using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000 on
| a Windows 2000 network with 2000 and 98 workstations.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 03:50:05 GMT
 Poor man's e-signature
Hmm. If I understand what you are saying, Dave, does that
mean that in Word the elements of a template are not part
of a document created from that template? I use VBA
extensively in Excel and if I transmit a spreadsheet with
macros, the macros arrive with the spreadsheet.

I'm not sure what it means to have a template distributed
throughout the agency. I have a template called BNT.dot on
the Shared folder on the main server. I open that to
create a document which becomes the form I want to Route
to various individuals in the agency.

Does BNT.dot have to be specifically present on each
recipient's hard drive? And does it have to be in Word's
designated User Templates folder for each user's profile,
or can it just reside anywhere on the hard drive? (In
either case, I don't see how the mere presence of a
particular template can affect an attached document that
arrives by email.)

In fact, now that I think of it, BNT.dot does reside on my
hard drive (in my Briefcase), but when I send a document
created from it to myself via email, the macros are not
available when I open the attachment.

Thanks for your response, but, sorry to say I'm still
confused.

Jeff

Quote:

in message

>| I'm using the Forms feature in Word 2000. I have a check
>| box with an associated macro that runs a msgbox asking
for
>| a password. The purpose is to verify that only the
>| specified Vice President can place a mark in the
checkbox.

>| It works fine locally, but when I attempt to use the
Send
>| To feature to email it to a Routing List, the macro is
>| lost. How can I ensure that the macro will stay with the
>| document when emailed? Or is there another way I could
>| contrive a poor man's e-signature for internal agency
use?

>| By the way we're using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000
on
>| a Windows 2000 network with 2000 and 98 workstations.
>|

>.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:31:05 GMT
 Poor man's e-signature
Hi Jeff

Word is nothing like Excel. :-)

See:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/WhatTemplatesStore.htm
and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DistributeMacros.htm

The template could be installed in either their User or Workgroup template
paths, and the latter could be on the network, unless you have laptop users.

Regards

Dave

| Hmm. If I understand what you are saying, Dave, does that
| mean that in Word the elements of a template are not part
| of a document created from that template? I use VBA
| extensively in Excel and if I transmit a spreadsheet with
| macros, the macros arrive with the spreadsheet.
|
| I'm not sure what it means to have a template distributed
| throughout the agency. I have a template called BNT.dot on
| the Shared folder on the main server. I open that to
| create a document which becomes the form I want to Route
| to various individuals in the agency.
|
| Does BNT.dot have to be specifically present on each
| recipient's hard drive? And does it have to be in Word's
| designated User Templates folder for each user's profile,
| or can it just reside anywhere on the hard drive? (In
| either case, I don't see how the mere presence of a
| particular template can affect an attached document that
| arrives by email.)
|
| In fact, now that I think of it, BNT.dot does reside on my
| hard drive (in my Briefcase), but when I send a document
| created from it to myself via email, the macros are not
| available when I open the attachment.
|
| Thanks for your response, but, sorry to say I'm still
| confused.
|
| Jeff

Quote:

| >|
| >| It works fine locally, but when I attempt to use the
| Send
| >| To feature to email it to a Routing List, the macro is
| >| lost. How can I ensure that the macro will stay with the
| >| document when emailed? Or is there another way I could
| >| contrive a poor man's e-signature for internal agency
| use?
| >|
| >| By the way we're using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000
| on
| >| a Windows 2000 network with 2000 and 98 workstations.
| >|

| >.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:32:18 GMT
 Poor man's e-signature
Well then, there's my answer, eh? I'll do it in Excel.

I'll also check out the resources you suggest.

Thanks very much, Dave. This has been quite helpful.

Jeff

Quote:

in message

>| Hmm. If I understand what you are saying, Dave, does
that
>| mean that in Word the elements of a template are not
part
>| of a document created from that template? I use VBA
>| extensively in Excel and if I transmit a spreadsheet
with
>| macros, the macros arrive with the spreadsheet.
>|
>| I'm not sure what it means to have a template
distributed
>| throughout the agency. I have a template called BNT.dot
on
>| the Shared folder on the main server. I open that to
>| create a document which becomes the form I want to Route
>| to various individuals in the agency.
>|
>| Does BNT.dot have to be specifically present on each
>| recipient's hard drive? And does it have to be in Word's
>| designated User Templates folder for each user's
profile,
>| or can it just reside anywhere on the hard drive? (In
>| either case, I don't see how the mere presence of a
>| particular template can affect an attached document that
>| arrives by email.)
>|
>| In fact, now that I think of it, BNT.dot does reside on
my
>| hard drive (in my Briefcase), but when I send a document
>| created from it to myself via email, the macros are not
>| available when I open the attachment.
>|
>| Thanks for your response, but, sorry to say I'm still
>| confused.
>|
>| Jeff

wrote
>| in message

check
asking
>| for
>| checkbox.
>| >|
>| Send
is
the
could
>| use?
>| >|
2000
>| on
>| >|

>| >.
>| >

>.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:33:59 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: Poor Man's Spell Checker

2. Poor Man's Client-Server

3. Poor Man's Messagebox

4. Poor Mans Banner Ad!

5. Man oh Man - Need VB Help for Using Access Databases

6. DUNK DUNK man DUNK women DUNK High man DUNK High women

7. VOOR brand@et.tudelft.nl:Hoe kan men .EXE's maken

8. VOOR brand@et.tudelft.nl : Hoe kan men .EXE's maken

9. Hell Man I'm frustrated...

10. Lazy man doesn't want to write code for GRID

11. Hell man I'm frustrated...

12. Prada Men's Shoes