(Q) API Call for File/Save as
Author Message
 (Q) API Call for File/Save as

Hi.
I'm exporting queries as Excel files from my database and want to allow
users to type in the filename they want to save the output as.
I've contemplated using a simple InputBox for the filename but as it's not
elegant and also doesn't account for Default folders etc, I'm looking for a
routine to Save As. I hope I don't have to reverse engineer the
GetOpenFilename function.
If anybody knows can they either
(a) provide me with the API call
OR
(b) tell me how to call the Export as Excel wizard from the wizard
libraries? I cannot find the calls for this particular wizard anywhere.

Any suggestions/tips are highly appreciated.
--
Dev Ashish

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 (Q) API Call for File/Save as

Hi,

Two solutions.

-Use "Microsoft Access 95 How-To", Getz and Litwin, article 4.8  (but if I
remember well, there is no "How-To" books on the shelves for a while.... is
the serie out of distribution channel? If so, note that the ISBN is
1-57169-052-2, it is a good book to have...)

-Use ActiveX "Microsoft Common Dialog Control" control. THe doc? in
Cmdlg96.hlp  (probably under \WINDOWS\Help )

Side note: most of the newsgroups, in your cross reference, have change
their name a few month ago...

Hope it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP.

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 (Q) API Call for File/Save as

<snip>

Quote:
> -Use "Microsoft Access 95 How-To", Getz and Litwin, article 4.8  (but if
> remember well, there is no "How-To" books on the shelves for a while....
is
> the serie out of distribution channel? If so, note that the ISBN is
> 1-57169-052-2, it is a good book to have...)

<snip>

<snip>

Quote:
> Vanderghast, Access MVP.

<snip>

The Getz and Litwin books are titled Microsoft Access 2.0/95 Developer's
Handbook, except the newer one (for Access 97) has serendipitously dropped
the word "Microsoft" from the title...hmmm someone must have gotten a call
from Microsoft's Lawyers.  E-mail me if you are interested in the ISBN
number. (Remove ### from the address.)

Each of these books have reusable code and are excellent.  The common
windows dialog function that they have is great, I have used it in many of
my applications.  It is particularly nice because a simple flag will allow
you to use it as either an open or save as dialog.

--
Doug Rhoten
Quality Data Systems

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 (Q) API Call for File/Save as

> <snip>
> The Getz and Litwin books are titled Microsoft Access 2.0/95 Developer's
> Handbook, except the newer one (for Access 97) has serendipitously
dropped
> the word "Microsoft" from the title...hmmm someone must have gotten a
call
> from Microsoft's Lawyers.

The word "Microsoft" have been dropped because another book is labeled:
"Microsoft Access 97 Developer's Handbook" (at MS Press). So Litwin, Getz
and Gilbert have renamed their book "Access 97 Developer's Handbook" (at
Sybex, ISBN 0-7821-1941-7). It is said that MS Marketing Department was not
aware that a book "Microsoft Access 95 Developer's Handbook", neither
"Microsoft Access 2 Developer's Handbook" had ever existed...

(note: many of your cross post are not valid anymore)

Vanderghast, Access MVP

Tue, 30 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ExtractIcon api call and then saving the icon to a file (HELP)

2. How to call Open File and Save As dialog box API from VB

3. saving bmp file with API calls

4. API-Calls for Clipboard-Bitmap save to File

5. Saving userdefined type with an API-call

6. API call to Detect Saves/Retrievals?

7. Question about VB calling API with header files(.H files)

8. Question about VB calling API with header files (.H files)

9. Text File Save Sub -- Can't call from inside a Select Case

10. Save File Dialog with Win32 API ?

11. File Save Dialog from API

12. Saving a CLIPBOARD image to a file using API's