TCP/IP Messages 
Author Message
 TCP/IP Messages

Can anyone enlighten me on how to send tcp/ip messages with Access 97?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Brad Cleveland



Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 TCP/IP Messages

Hi,

Sorry if I'm sounding ignorant but what exactly do you mean by TCP/IP
messages??

--
Just my $.001
Dev Ashish
---------------
The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
---------------

:Can anyone enlighten me on how to send tcp/ip messages with Access 97?
:Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:TIA
:
:Brad Cleveland

:
:
:



Mon, 07 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 TCP/IP Messages

Sorry...
I guess that was a bit vague.
I need to communicate between a Computer Aided Dispatch system for 9-1-1 and
a GIS Mapping system we have.  The mapping vendor allows for "messaging"
from a CAD system to their map by using a tcp/ip message.  It would be a
message that would tell the map where to display a graphical representation
of an emergency call.  The older version of the mapping system did this
messaging at file level, so that was no problem, but the new one needs to
receive all messages via tcp.  SO... I have seen how transfer data via tcp,
but I can't find it now.  I have F1'd myself silly to no avail.
ALSO,
I will have to send a message from our CAD system to a remote site at the
Sheriffs Office via tcp to interface into their Intergraph system.  This
will be the 9-1-1 data stream that we get at our center.
Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Brad Cleveland

Quote:

>Hi,

>Sorry if I'm sounding ignorant but what exactly do you mean by TCP/IP
>messages??

>--
>Just my $.001
>Dev Ashish
>---------------
>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>---------------


>:Can anyone enlighten me on how to send tcp/ip messages with Access 97?
>:Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>:TIA
>:
>:Brad Cleveland

>:
>:
>:



Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 TCP/IP Messages

Brad,
look at winsock and internet transfer controls from ODE 97.
you can download a sample file from ms downloads for better understanding
Best regards,
___________
Alex Dybenko
Point Limited

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/5091/
Moscow MS Access User Group, chairman
http://www.arimsoft.ru/msaccess

Quote:

>Can anyone enlighten me on how to send tcp/ip messages with Access 97?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>TIA

>Brad Cleveland




Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 TCP/IP Messages

Hi,

Under W95, take note that if you wish to use "friendly" PC names, without
DNS server, you have to fill in the entries in a HOSTS file (a prototype
sample is included in \WINDOWS\HOSTS.SAM) and test  yours HOSTS file simply
with ping (from a DOS windows). Note that the first line of HOSTS must be:
127.0.0.1 localhost

You will then be able to use Winsock control quite easily, even for a local
lan.

Hope it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP.


Quote:
>Brad,
>look at winsock and internet transfer controls from ODE 97.
>you can download a sample file from ms downloads for better understanding
>Best regards,
>___________
>Alex Dybenko
>Point Limited

>Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/5091/
>Moscow MS Access User Group, chairman
>http://www.arimsoft.ru/msaccess


>>Can anyone enlighten me on how to send tcp/ip messages with Access 97?
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>TIA

>>Brad Cleveland




Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 TCP/IP Messages

Quote:

> Sorry...
> I guess that was a bit vague.
> I need to communicate between a Computer Aided Dispatch system for 9-1-1 and
> a GIS Mapping system we have.  The mapping vendor allows for "messaging"
> from a CAD system to their map by using a tcp/ip message.  It would be a
> message that would tell the map where to display a graphical representation
> of an emergency call.  The older version of the mapping system did this
> messaging at file level, so that was no problem, but the new one needs to
> receive all messages via tcp.  SO... I have seen how transfer data via tcp,
> but I can't find it now.  I have F1'd myself silly to no avail.
> ALSO,
> I will have to send a message from our CAD system to a remote site at the
> Sheriffs Office via tcp to interface into their Intergraph system.  This
> will be the 9-1-1 data stream that we get at our center.
> Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

> Brad Cleveland

In short, you want to establish communication between two parties using the
TCP/IP protocol... You'll need to dig up the ol' Windows API guide (WinSock
actually) and take a look at the following functions:

WSAStartup(), WSAAsyncSelect(), bind(), socket()

There's tons of functions to communicate using TCP/IP. Access is _not_ the tool
to do this. I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't want to try it.

Anyways, here's a Borland C++ Builder way of listening on a specific port ...

  // Code to start up WinSock
  WORD wVersionRequested;
   int err;

  OurSock = INVALID_SOCKET;
  Port = 8000;          // portnumber to listen on...
  wVersionRequested = MAKEWORD( 1, 1 );

  // Start up WinSock
 err = WSAStartup( wVersionRequested, &SocData );
 if ( err != 0 )
 {
    /* Tell the user that we couldn't find a usable */
    /* WinSock DLL.                                 */
    return;
  }
  // Create the socket
  OurSock = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
  if (OurSock == INVALID_SOCKET)
  {
   Application->MessageBox("Unable to create Socket", STDMSG, MB_OK);
   Close();
  }
  sin.sin_family = AF_INET;
  sin.sin_port = htons(Port);
  sin.sin_addr.s_addr = 0;

  if(bind(OurSock, (LPSOCKADDR)&sin, sizeof(sin)))
  {
   Application->MessageBox("Unable to bind socket to port.",
     STDMSG, MB_OK);
    Close();
  }

  // Listen for a connection
  if (listen(OurSock, 5))
  {
   Application->MessageBox("Unable to listen for connection on socket",
     STDMSG, MB_OK);
    Close();
  }
  // Tell WinSock to send us a message when something wants to communicate
 // WM_FIRSTCONTACT is the message that will be sent when something
 // is going on on the designated port.
  err = WSAAsyncSelect(OurSock, Handle, WM_FIRSTCONTACT, FD_ACCEPT);
  if (err == 0)
  {
   // Hey, it's working!
   }
  else
  {
   // Display some sort of error message and bomb out
   }

HTH
LMH rogue(at)channel1 dot com
AIM LarsMHanse
WWW http://www.channel1.com/users/rogue
--
You know you've had too much coffee when...



Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 TCP/IP Messages

Hi,

While I agree Access is not the tool to use winsock-API, you can EASILY use
WINSOCK.OCX. Works fine, easily, and well. Reference is also easily obtained
in "Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 ActiveX Controls Reference".

Two interesting uses, under Access (since Access already take care of a lot
of networking things): Sending a notification to a non-Access aware
application; Sending a notification of a record modification from another
user to an Access application. The last one is required since Access has no
"onAnotherUserModification" event and, without winsock, will require a
(damm) timer-polling checking, while with winsock, it is just a matter of an
event programming, the "modifying user" sending a winsock message to the
"server", nice and easy. The server may then "broadcast" the modification
"event" if required (in this case, you may implement a "subscription" table,
but I disgress...)

Hope it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP.

Quote:


>> Sorry...
>> I guess that was a bit vague.
>> I need to communicate between a Computer Aided Dispatch system for 9-1-1
and
>> a GIS Mapping system we have.  The mapping vendor allows for "messaging"
>> from a CAD system to their map by using a tcp/ip message.  It would be a
>> message that would tell the map where to display a graphical
representation
>> of an emergency call.  The older version of the mapping system did this
>> messaging at file level, so that was no problem, but the new one needs to
>> receive all messages via tcp.  SO... I have seen how transfer data via
tcp,
>> but I can't find it now.  I have F1'd myself silly to no avail.
>> ALSO,
>> I will have to send a message from our CAD system to a remote site at the
>> Sheriffs Office via tcp to interface into their Intergraph system.  This
>> will be the 9-1-1 data stream that we get at our center.
>> Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

>> Brad Cleveland

>In short, you want to establish communication between two parties using the
>TCP/IP protocol... You'll need to dig up the ol' Windows API guide (WinSock
>actually) and take a look at the following functions:

>WSAStartup(), WSAAsyncSelect(), bind(), socket()

>There's tons of functions to communicate using TCP/IP. Access is _not_ the
tool
>to do this. I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't want to try it.

>Anyways, here's a Borland C++ Builder way of listening on a specific port
...

>  // Code to start up WinSock
>  WORD wVersionRequested;
>   int err;

>  OurSock = INVALID_SOCKET;
>  Port = 8000;          // portnumber to listen on...
>  wVersionRequested = MAKEWORD( 1, 1 );

>  // Start up WinSock
> err = WSAStartup( wVersionRequested, &SocData );
> if ( err != 0 )
> {
>    /* Tell the user that we couldn't find a usable */
>    /* WinSock DLL.                                 */
>    return;
>  }
>  // Create the socket
>  OurSock = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
>  if (OurSock == INVALID_SOCKET)
>  {
>   Application->MessageBox("Unable to create Socket", STDMSG, MB_OK);
>   Close();
>  }
>  sin.sin_family = AF_INET;
>  sin.sin_port = htons(Port);
>  sin.sin_addr.s_addr = 0;

>  if(bind(OurSock, (LPSOCKADDR)&sin, sizeof(sin)))
>  {
>   Application->MessageBox("Unable to bind socket to port.",
>     STDMSG, MB_OK);
>    Close();
>  }

>  // Listen for a connection
>  if (listen(OurSock, 5))
>  {
>   Application->MessageBox("Unable to listen for connection on socket",
>     STDMSG, MB_OK);
>    Close();
>  }
>  // Tell WinSock to send us a message when something wants to communicate
> // WM_FIRSTCONTACT is the message that will be sent when something
> // is going on on the designated port.
>  err = WSAAsyncSelect(OurSock, Handle, WM_FIRSTCONTACT, FD_ACCEPT);
>  if (err == 0)
>  {
>   // Hey, it's working!
>   }
>  else
>  {
>   // Display some sort of error message and bomb out
>   }

>HTH
>LMH rogue(at)channel1 dot com
>AIM LarsMHanse
>WWW http://www.channel1.com/users/rogue
>--
>You know you've had too much coffee when...



Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. How to get a TCP/IP message with SocketWrench

2. TCP/IP Connection Help - Broadcast Message

3. Sending small messages between PCs using TCP/IP

4. Sending messages on a Win95 network (TCP/IP)

5. TCP/IP not TCP/IPing

6. Setting the Gateway IP (in TCP/IP Settings) via program

7. Tcp/ip or Ip number ?

8. TCP/IP IP address and multiple adapters

9. tcp/ip socket from vba

10. TCP/IP from VBA?

11. VB.NET TCP/IP Communication

12. TCP/IP

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software