Transparent Windows/Forms
Author Message
 Transparent Windows/Forms

Using Access97 SR-2, Jet 3.5 SR-3
==========================
I read a on the MSDN library in VS6.0 about the procedure to make a window
transparent.
It mentions the api call to SetWindowLong Lib in "User". I soon found out
that User.dll is no longer used and found out that there are two new
functions in User32.dll. These functions are SetWindowLongA and
SetWindowLongW. I tested both functions using the sintax in the MSDN article
and had no luck
at all with SetWindowLongW. With SetWindowLongA the window (form) just
showed a very 'weird' behavior.
What I'd like to achieve is to have messages (lilke "Please wait")  that
will show over anything the user's got on the screen at that moment, without
any background color
My questions are:
Is it possible to have a transparent form in Access using one of these
functions, or by any other means?
If possible, how can it be done?

--
TIA
Mario Osorio

Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Transparent Windows/Forms
Hi Mario,

Quote:
> Using Access97 SR-2, Jet 3.5 SR-3
> ==========================
> I read a on the MSDN library in VS6.0 about the procedure to make a window
> transparent.
> It mentions the api call to SetWindowLong Lib in "User". I soon found out
> that User.dll is no longer used and found out that there are two new
> functions in User32.dll. These functions are SetWindowLongA and
> SetWindowLongW. I tested both functions using the sintax in the MSDN
article
> and had no luck
> at all with SetWindowLongW.

  The ANSI version (A) should be the API you would use here.

Quote:
> With SetWindowLongA the window (form) just
> showed a very 'weird' behavior.

  Like what?  Remember that Access forms are heavily subclassed and under
most circumstances, the API code which works against VB forms will fail in
Access.

Quote:
> What I'd like to achieve is to have messages (lilke "Please wait")  that
> will show over anything the user's got on the screen at that moment,
without
> any background color

Bad idea!  Win2000 and Win98 don't allow you to force a window to foreground
like that, and you shouldn't force your app to be un-"Windows" like if you
can help it.

Quote:
> My questions are:
> Is it possible to have a transparent form in Access using one of these
> functions, or by any other means?
> If possible, how can it be done?

I haven't played with it, but I really don't think it's worth it.  Create a
normal Access form with a textbox/label placed on the entire client area and
pop that up _within_ Access.

 -- Dev

Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Transparent Windows/Forms
If you are determined to have (and I make an assumption on what you are
trying to achieve) text pop up in front of a form the user sees, with the
PLEASE WAIT message over everything else, you could add an invisible label
set to the format you want with an invisible background and transparent
border, in the center of each form that would need it and then turn it
visible whenever you need it.

Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Transparent Windows/Forms
:
:   Like what?  Remember that Access forms are heavily subclassed and under
: most circumstances, the API code which works against VB forms will fail in
: Access.

Some part of the form 'disapeared' (border and navigation butons), but kept
showing on other windows/forms within the app (like the database windows)

: Bad idea!  Win2000 and Win98 don't allow you to force a window to
foreground
: like that, and you shouldn't force your app to be un-"Windows" like if you
: can help it.

:-(

Thanks a lot for your comments!

--
HTH/EQTA
Mario Osorio
You'll find good answer to common
and not so common questions
at Dev Ashish's site. <=>
Ud. encontrar buenas respuestas
a preguntas comunes y no tan
comunes en la pgina de
Dev Ashish:
http://www.mvps.org/access

: Hi Mario,
:

: > Using Access97 SR-2, Jet 3.5 SR-3
: > ==========================
[...]

: >
:
: I haven't played with it, but I really don't think it's worth it.  Create
: normal Access form with a textbox/label placed on the entire client area
and
: pop that up _within_ Access.
:
:  -- Dev
:
:

Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Transparent Windows/Forms in VB3

2. transparent forms and windows - FSTransparent ActiveX Control

3. Transparent forms and windows - FSTransparent ActiveX control

4. Transparent Forms / Windows

5. Transparent VB5.0 forms in Windows NT

6. Transparent VB5.0 forms in Windows NT

7. Transparent VB5.0 forms in Windows NT

8. Transparent Forms Or Somewhat Non Rectangular Windows

9. Transparent Form Is Not Transparent

10. Looking for Transparent OCX to make forms transparent

11. Looking for Transparent OCX to make forms transparent

12. Transparent Windows in Windows 2000