Avoiding database bloat
Author Message
 Avoiding database bloat

Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to Dim and Open DAO recordsets in
order to maximize performance and minimize database bloat?  I am aware that
you need to explicitly close all recordsets at the end of each procedure.

I have an A2000 app (w/SR-1) on a Win98 machine that needs to run for an
extended period of time, but the app grows in size and slows down
considerably after about 3 hours.  I need to restart Access every 6 hrs or
so.

Currently, I Dim all recordsets once in the Declarations section, Set each
recordset at the start of its' respective procedure (within the same module
as the Dim statements) and close all recordsets explicitly at the end of
each procedure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Avoiding database bloat
Your mixing two different problems.  Database bloat occurs not because of
anything that your not doing correctly, but because Access does not reuse
all space right away.  The only thing that Access can recycle right off the
bat is long value pages (Memo and OLE fields).  This is normal.

  The way around this is to open a temp database, create your objects there
(I'm assuming that your creating query defs or tables on the fly for the
most part), and then delete the temp database when no longer needed.  This
keeps the bloat in the main database reasonable.

HTH,
Jim.

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. This code is bloating my database.

2. MDB database bloating - correction

3. MDB database bloating

4. Severe Database Bloating with 2000 (converted from 97)

5. Bloating database size with replace function!

6. Bloating of Database

7. Access bloats when closing external database connection

8. Out of memory error & database bloat

9. database bloat vb5 dao w/ acc97

10. Bloated database

11. Access Database Bloat