Linking F1 To Custom Help File In Word Form
Author Message
 Linking F1 To Custom Help File In Word Form

Can I control which help file is displayed when I press F1?

We have developed a custom form using Word. It has more
than 500 fields, and some users feel they need help when
filling it in. (Surprise! :-)
We could, of course, associate help text to the form
fields by embedding the help text in the form, but this
would substantially increase the size of the final
document (which is uploaded over a slow connection).
We would like to put all the help text in an external help
file and have it displayed when the user presses F1 (or
another key combination).
Ideally, the help file would open at the paragraph
explaining how to fill in the specific field on the form
that has focus when the user presses F1.

Is this possible, and how?

Thank you,

Radu Manolescu

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:26:48 GMT
 Linking F1 To Custom Help File In Word Form

right-click your project in the VBE Project Explorer (usually top
left) and select Properties, you can complete the helpfile name there.
You then produce the help file with mapped context id's and provide
those id's in each control.

went like this:

Quote:
>Can I control which help file is displayed when I press F1?

>We have developed a custom form using Word. It has more
>than 500 fields, and some users feel they need help when
>filling it in. (Surprise! :-)
>We could, of course, associate help text to the form
>fields by embedding the help text in the form, but this
>would substantially increase the size of the final
>document (which is uploaded over a slow connection).
>We would like to put all the help text in an external help
>file and have it displayed when the user presses F1 (or
>another key combination).
>Ideally, the help file would open at the paragraph
>explaining how to fill in the specific field on the form
>that has focus when the user presses F1.

>Is this possible, and how?

>Thank you,

>Radu Manolescu

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
{*filter*} teacher, trainer, tutor, writer, developer

You agree by writing to me personally that any material can be reused publicly unless you explicitly disclaim it. (For List and blog use.)

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:48:55 GMT
 Linking F1 To Custom Help File In Word Form
Hi Radu,

I have no experience with this product myself, but it looks interesting. See
if it doesn't do something for you.

http://www.easyhelp.com/

--

Pete

This e-mail address is fake to keep spammers and their auto-harvesters out
of my hair. If you need to get in touch personally, I am 'pdanes' and I use
Yahoo mail. But please use the newsgroups whenever possible, so that all may
benefit from the exchange of ideas.

Quote:
> Can I control which help file is displayed when I press F1?

> We have developed a custom form using Word. It has more
> than 500 fields, and some users feel they need help when
> filling it in. (Surprise! :-)
> We could, of course, associate help text to the form
> fields by embedding the help text in the form, but this
> would substantially increase the size of the final
> document (which is uploaded over a slow connection).
> We would like to put all the help text in an external help
> file and have it displayed when the user presses F1 (or
> another key combination).
> Ideally, the help file would open at the paragraph
> explaining how to fill in the specific field on the form
> that has focus when the user presses F1.

> Is this possible, and how?

> Thank you,

> Radu Manolescu

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:30:33 GMT

1. Linking F1 To Custom Help File In Word Form

2. Showing custom Help by pressing the F1 key

3. Visual Studio Context Sensitive Help (F1) not linking to MSDN

4. Adding a link on a VB form to a Word file

5. Custom Button linked to Macro for Word 2002

6. Word link to a help file topic

7. Activating F1 for Help, Printing form

8. F1 context sensitive help doesn't work on MDI child forms

9. Invisible Attachment when linking to Custom Form

10. Linking Project 2000 to Outlook 2000 custom forms

11. Linking Project 2000 to Outlook 2000 custom forms

12. Linking Project 2000 to Outlook 2000 custom forms