Maximum number sizes
Author Message
 Maximum number sizes

I have an application involving several hundred bank accounts whose account
numbers range from 5 digits to 20 digits in length.  For sorting purposes I
would like to define the account number as a numeric field, but Access 2000
apparently will only handle 10 numeric characters in long integer, and about
15 in double before displaying the number in scientific notation.

If defined as a text field there would be sorting problems.  For example
account number 19501 would sort after account 175567890 since they would be
left justified.

Is there any optional way of achieving the desired sort results with either
numeric or text fields?

Bill

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 09:55:32 GMT
 Maximum number sizes
Try using a Decimal field with a Fixed format.  In Table Design view, set
the Data Type to Number, the Field Size to Decimal, the Precision (the total
number of digits that are stored) to 20, the Scale (the number digits to the
right of the decimal place that are stored) to 0 (the default), the Format
to Fixed, and the Decimal Places (the number of digits displayed) to 0.

Quote:
> I have an application involving several hundred bank accounts whose
account
> numbers range from 5 digits to 20 digits in length.  For sorting purposes
> would like to define the account number as a numeric field, but Access
2000
> apparently will only handle 10 numeric characters in long integer, and
about
> 15 in double before displaying the number in scientific notation.

> If defined as a text field there would be sorting problems.  For example
> account number 19501 would sort after account 175567890 since they would
be
> left justified.

> Is there any optional way of achieving the desired sort results with
either
> numeric or text fields?

> Bill

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:46:50 GMT
 Maximum number sizes
Since you will never need to do arithmetic on this field and because
of its length, I would use a text field for this data.

The sorting can be done by sorting on the calculated field:

Marsh

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 01:55:32 GMT, "Bill Murphy"

Quote:

>I have an application involving several hundred bank accounts whose account
>numbers range from 5 digits to 20 digits in length.  For sorting purposes I
>would like to define the account number as a numeric field, but Access 2000
>apparently will only handle 10 numeric characters in long integer, and about
>15 in double before displaying the number in scientific notation.

>If defined as a text field there would be sorting problems.  For example
>account number 19501 would sort after account 175567890 since they would be
>left justified.

>Is there any optional way of achieving the desired sort results with either
>numeric or text fields?

>Bill

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:35:00 GMT
 Maximum number sizes
Thanks Brian and Marsh.  I tried the decimal approach and found that I could
use a number up to 28 digits.  It's good to know that I also have the text
option that Marsh offered.

Bill

Quote:
> I have an application involving several hundred bank accounts whose
account
> numbers range from 5 digits to 20 digits in length.  For sorting purposes
> would like to define the account number as a numeric field, but Access
2000
> apparently will only handle 10 numeric characters in long integer, and
about
> 15 in double before displaying the number in scientific notation.

> If defined as a text field there would be sorting problems.  For example
> account number 19501 would sort after account 175567890 since they would
be
> left justified.

> Is there any optional way of achieving the desired sort results with
either
> numeric or text fields?

> Bill

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:53:08 GMT
 Maximum number sizes
As I mention below, I was able to store numbers up to 28 digits in tables
using the decimal approach.  However, when I tried to use numeric digits
that were 20 long in a combo box it displayed in scientific notation.  Do
you think this means I'm pretty much restricted to using the alphanumeric
approach in my app for these long numbers?

As a related question, I noticed that even 10 digit numbers displayed with
.00 at the end in the same combo box, even though I set the combo decimal
places to zero.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Bill

Quote:
> Thanks Brian and Marsh.  I tried the decimal approach and found that I
could
> use a number up to 28 digits.  It's good to know that I also have the text
> option that Marsh offered.

> Bill

> > I have an application involving several hundred bank accounts whose
> account
> > numbers range from 5 digits to 20 digits in length.  For sorting
purposes
> > would like to define the account number as a numeric field, but Access
> 2000
> > apparently will only handle 10 numeric characters in long integer, and
> about
> > 15 in double before displaying the number in scientific notation.

> > If defined as a text field there would be sorting problems.  For example
> > account number 19501 would sort after account 175567890 since they would
> be
> > left justified.

> > Is there any optional way of achieving the desired sort results with
> either
> > numeric or text fields?

> > Bill

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 06:34:54 GMT
 Maximum number sizes
Try setting the value of the Format property of the combo box to "Fixed" and
the value of the Decimal Places property of the combo box to 0.

The Decimal Places property setting has no effect if the Format property is
blank or is set to "General Number".

Quote:
> As I mention below, I was able to store numbers up to 28 digits in tables
> using the decimal approach.  However, when I tried to use numeric digits
> that were 20 long in a combo box it displayed in scientific notation.  Do
> you think this means I'm pretty much restricted to using the alphanumeric
> approach in my app for these long numbers?

> As a related question, I noticed that even 10 digit numbers displayed with
> .00 at the end in the same combo box, even though I set the combo decimal
> places to zero.

> Your thoughts will be appreciated.

> Bill

> > Thanks Brian and Marsh.  I tried the decimal approach and found that I
> could
> > use a number up to 28 digits.  It's good to know that I also have the
text
> > option that Marsh offered.

> > Bill

> > > I have an application involving several hundred bank accounts whose
> > account
> > > numbers range from 5 digits to 20 digits in length.  For sorting
> purposes
> > > would like to define the account number as a numeric field, but Access
> > 2000
> > > apparently will only handle 10 numeric characters in long integer, and
> > about
> > > 15 in double before displaying the number in scientific notation.

> > > If defined as a text field there would be sorting problems.  For
example
> > > account number 19501 would sort after account 175567890 since they
would
> > be
> > > left justified.

> > > Is there any optional way of achieving the desired sort results with
> > either
> > > numeric or text fields?

> > > Bill

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 07:39:03 GMT
 Maximum number sizes
Brian,

I tried all 3 format options, and it looks like a blank format with 0 places
gets the job done and displays a 25 digit number okay.  Both fixed and
general format displayed the number in scientific notation.  Also, the
decimal point and two zeros problem disappears with the blank format.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

Quote:
> Try setting the value of the Format property of the combo box to "Fixed"
and
> the value of the Decimal Places property of the combo box to 0.

> The Decimal Places property setting has no effect if the Format property
is
> blank or is set to "General Number".

> > As I mention below, I was able to store numbers up to 28 digits in
tables
> > using the decimal approach.  However, when I tried to use numeric digits
> > that were 20 long in a combo box it displayed in scientific notation.
Do
> > you think this means I'm pretty much restricted to using the
alphanumeric
> > approach in my app for these long numbers?

> > As a related question, I noticed that even 10 digit numbers displayed
with
> > .00 at the end in the same combo box, even though I set the combo
decimal
> > places to zero.

> > Your thoughts will be appreciated.

> > Bill

> > > Thanks Brian and Marsh.  I tried the decimal approach and found that I
> > could
> > > use a number up to 28 digits.  It's good to know that I also have the
> text
> > > option that Marsh offered.

> > > Bill

> > > account
> > purposes
Access
> > > 2000
> > > about

> example
> would
> > > be

> > > either

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:35:15 GMT

1. Maximum Size Database

2. Maximum array size

3. Maximum Table Size

4. Maximum Word size with embedded controls?

5. Setting Maximum Size of a Form

6. maximum size (rows) for dataset datatable

7. Access Database reaching maximum size

8. Maximum size of QB 4.5 programs?

9. Maximum size of listbox

10. Extending standard listbox maximum size

11. Maximum Array Size

12. Confusion regarding the maximum string size in VB6?