importing text file
Author Message
 importing text file

Hi all,

I am trying to import a text file into Access97. The fields are delimited by
comma and "".  I tried the TransferText method of the DoCmd object.  It did
not let me specify field types of each of the imported field.  But if I was
able to using the File->Get External Data->Import.

How can I programmatically specify the field types of the imported file, for
example, some can be dollar amounts and some can be just plain text, like
names...etc.  Thank you in advance for sharing your
thoughts/suggestions/code snippets.

Ben

Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:37:04 GMT
 importing text file
Ben...

Start by importing it by hand.  Mid way through the process save the
specification (there's a button to allow this).  On of the parameters on the
transfertext action is a specification name.  I use it all the time.

lance

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I am trying to import a text file into Access97. The fields are delimited
by
> comma and "".  I tried the TransferText method of the DoCmd object.  It
did
> not let me specify field types of each of the imported field.  But if I
was
> able to using the File->Get External Data->Import.

> How can I programmatically specify the field types of the imported file,
for
> example, some can be dollar amounts and some can be just plain text, like
> names...etc.  Thank you in advance for sharing your
> thoughts/suggestions/code snippets.

> Ben

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:29:41 GMT
 importing text file
Thanks Lance, do u if the specification name becomes part of the database
itself?  Thanks again.

Ben

Quote:
> Ben...

> Start by importing it by hand.  Mid way through the process save the
> specification (there's a button to allow this).  On of the parameters on
the
> transfertext action is a specification name.  I use it all the time.

> lance

> > Hi all,

> > I am trying to import a text file into Access97. The fields are
delimited
> by
> > comma and "".  I tried the TransferText method of the DoCmd object.  It
> did
> > not let me specify field types of each of the imported field.  But if I
> was
> > able to using the File->Get External Data->Import.

> > How can I programmatically specify the field types of the imported file,
> for
> > example, some can be dollar amounts and some can be just plain text,
like
> > names...etc.  Thank you in advance for sharing your
> > thoughts/suggestions/code snippets.

> > Ben

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 03:58:15 GMT

1. Help - Schema file to import text file

2. "not a valid path" error when importing text file with IISAM (Was Re: Import Text file to Access with ADO (bis) )

3. importing text file part 2

4. importing text files

5. Importing text files

6. replace function quirk when importing text file to Access table

7. wish to create a button to import text files

8. Import text file

9. Importing text files into Access

10. Import Text file into Access 2000 table

11. Importing text files

12. Importing Text files with VBA code