Send emails from vb without using outlook.
Author Message
 Send emails from vb without using outlook.

Hi!

I'm using CreateObject("Outlook.Application") etc to send emails from my
vb-application. But sometimes outlook does not work properbly. Are there any
other way I can send emails from my vb application without being dependent
on outlook? I wish to send them direct.
Have tried to use mapi session & mapi message but then the emails ends up in
the outlook outbox.

Thanks
Magnus

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:23:12 GMT
 Send emails from vb without using outlook.
Magnus

Go to http://www.vbip.com/winsock/

regards

Ian

** invalid email address, change dk to denmark

homepage http://www.kingsoft-denmark.com/
Tips & Tricks page http://tips.kingsoft-denmark.com/

Quote:
> Hi!

> I'm using CreateObject("Outlook.Application") etc to send emails from my
> vb-application. But sometimes outlook does not work properbly. Are there
any
> other way I can send emails from my vb application without being dependent
> on outlook? I wish to send them direct.
> Have tried to use mapi session & mapi message but then the emails ends up
in
> the outlook outbox.

> Thanks
> Magnus

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:27:24 GMT
 Send emails from vb without using outlook.

Quote:
> Go to http://www.vbip.com/winsock/

The examples there only work with VB6 -- I've tried them with VB5 and
no-go.  :(

Regards, Otser.

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 06:53:32 GMT
 Send emails from vb without using outlook.
OTSER,

On the contrary, the examples there work fine with VB5.

I have been recommending www.vbip.com quite a bit here on this
newsgroup, mainly because there code works well, both with VB5
and VB6.

Sure there is the odd "Invalid Key: Retained" error, but this is solved
by editing the VB project in a text editor and removing the Retained= line.

Otherwise I have had success with their demos using VB5 and VB6.

Either way, if some of the code they have only works with VB6, it is still
a great example site, and only minor tweaking to their code would be needed
in order to gain functionality under a previous version of VB.

My two cents.

Regards,
Jonathan Roach - CEO Stormdev Software Development

icq: 106315154

Quote:

> > Go to http://www.vbip.com/winsock/

> The examples there only work with VB6 -- I've tried them with VB5 and
> no-go.  :(

> Regards, Otser.

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:10:47 GMT
 Send emails from vb without using outlook.
if you are looking only to ms technologies...

* Collaboration Data Objects 1.21 (comes w/ Outlook) - great for unattended
message sending when exchange is the backend

* CDO for Windows 2000 - comes w/ operating system and a very fast smtp
sender

* CDONTS - comes w/ NT4 Option pack or Exchange 5.5, another efficient smtp
message sender

3rd party
* JMAIL - freeware from diamac (runs on nt4/2k) that sends smtp messages

Outside of that, check some of the vb sites for code samples on how to use
the winsock directly to send smtp messages. (I think
http://vbaccelerator.com might have one.)

Quote:
> Hi!

> I'm using CreateObject("Outlook.Application") etc to send emails from my
> vb-application. But sometimes outlook does not work properbly. Are there
any
> other way I can send emails from my vb application without being dependent
> on outlook? I wish to send them direct.
> Have tried to use mapi session & mapi message but then the emails ends up
in
> the outlook outbox.

> Thanks
> Magnus

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:18:55 GMT
 Send emails from vb without using outlook.

Quote:
> On the contrary, the examples there work fine with VB5.
> Sure there is the odd "Invalid Key: Retained" error, but this is solved
> by editing the VB project in a text editor and removing the Retained= line.

Well, I didn't try ALL examples on that Winsock page, but the one called
"Mail Checker" (http://www.vbip.com/winsock/winsock_mail_checker_01.asp)
flatly refuses to run on VB5 Pro, and NOT due to any "Retained" errors.
When trying to compile the downloaded zip example, I get "Invalid outside
procedure" errors... I sort-of know what that means, but I'm not sure on
where to put them...?  In fact, here's all the errors I get when trying
to compile it:

Line 66: Class ComctlLib.ListView of control lvMessages was not a loaded control
class.
Line 72: The property name _ExtentX in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 73: The property name _ExtentY in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 74: The property name View in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 75: The property name LabelWrap in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 76: The property name HideSelection in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 77: The property name _Version in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 82: The property name NumItems in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 88: The property name ColumnHeader(1) in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 95: The property name ColumnHeader(2) in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 102: The property name ColumnHeader(3) in lvMessages is invalid.
Line 109: The property name ColumnHeader(4) in lvMessages is invalid.

Regards, Otser.

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:33:09 GMT

1. Send emails from vb without using outlook.

2. Send emails from vb without using outlook.

3. How to send email without using Outlook ?

4. How to send HTML email from outlook client without using CDONTS

5. Send email without using Outlook

6. Pointers using Outlook/Outlook Express Rules - Sending back tailored emails

7. sending message from VB suing OUTLOOK without USING MAPI Controls

8. Sending (with VB) mail through MAPI WITHOUT using Outlook's settings

9. Sending HTML email from outlook using VB..

10. Sending HTML email from outlook using VB..

11. Hoe to send email without outlook

12. How to Send/Receive emails via a .EXE without starting Outlook