FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing
Author Message
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing

Johan,
I use
DoCmd.Quit
and don't have any trouble.

Hope This Helps,
Jeff Davies

Quote:
> Hello,

> having my databases splitted up in FE/BE and using code to leave(quit) the
> database I lately noticed that after using Application.Quit method to
leave
> and shutdown the database both .ldb files of the BE and the FE still
exist.
> As if the Access process was actually killed, which it probably was...

> Is this standard behaviour or is there a way to close both databases in a
> "neat" manner? Inclusing the Access window ofcourse.

> Thanks,
> Johan.

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing

Jeff Davies heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Quote:
>Johan,
>I use
>DoCmd.Quit
>and don't have any trouble.

>Hope This Helps,
>Jeff Davies

I hope too, because I thought that the Access window then remains open, am I
wrong?

Thanks Jeff.
Johan.

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing
Have you tried forcing all users out of the database, shutting it down, then
simply deleting (or renaming, for safety's sake) the .ldb files?

--

Dirk Goldgar
(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Quote:

> Jeff Davies heeft geschreven in bericht ...
> >Johan,
> >I use
> >DoCmd.Quit
> >and don't have any trouble.

> >Hope This Helps,
> >Jeff Davies

> I hope too, because I thought that the Access window then remains open, am
> wrong?

> Thanks Jeff.
> Johan.

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing
Hi Dirk(I thought the name Dirk was only used in Holland?)

well, the only user using the db is the one responsible for the ldb's, on
the client machine(laptop or PC).
So if (s)he quits the ldb's should be gone.
If I remove them by hand they will be there next time I open and close the
db(with Application.Quit).

Johan.

Dirk Goldgar heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Quote:
>Have you tried forcing all users out of the database, shutting it down,
then
>simply deleting (or renaming, for safety's sake) the .ldb files?

>--

>Dirk Goldgar
>(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing

Quote:
> Hi Dirk(I thought the name Dirk was only used in Holland?)

My mother just liked the name.  I've met a few other Americans with it.

Quote:

> well, the only user using the db is the one responsible for the ldb's, on
> the client machine(laptop or PC).
> So if (s)he quits the ldb's should be gone.
> If I remove them by hand they will be there next time I open and close the
> db(with Application.Quit).

So they remain after the next DB close, even if you have manually deleted
them before opening the DB?  I don't understand that.  I have seen the .ldb
file(s) left over after a crash, requiring me to delete them before
restarting Access, but this appears to be something different.

Does the same thing happen when you use DoCmd.Quit?  When the menu item
File/Exit is used to leave Access?  Does it happen if the Quit command is
executed immediately, or only after some activity has taken place?
--

Dirk Goldgar
(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing
Thank you for your persistence.

Just tried the docmd.quit (overlooked this option always) and it neatly
closes down both FE and BE ldb files.
I usually thoroughly go through help info and KB and such but in this case I
needed US support.

Thanks again,
and BTW, I forgot this actor's name sounding like yours: Dirk Bogarde.

Dirk Goldgar heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Quote:

>> Hi Dirk(I thought the name Dirk was only used in Holland?)

>My mother just liked the name.  I've met a few other Americans with it.

>> well, the only user using the db is the one responsible for the ldb's, on
>> the client machine(laptop or PC).
>> So if (s)he quits the ldb's should be gone.
>> If I remove them by hand they will be there next time I open and close
the
>> db(with Application.Quit).

>So they remain after the next DB close, even if you have manually deleted
>them before opening the DB?  I don't understand that.  I have seen the .ldb
>file(s) left over after a crash, requiring me to delete them before
>restarting Access, but this appears to be something different.

>Does the same thing happen when you use DoCmd.Quit?  When the menu item
>File/Exit is used to leave Access?  Does it happen if the Quit command is
>executed immediately, or only after some activity has taken place?
>--

>Dirk Goldgar
>(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing
Johan,
What is "heeft geschreven in bericht ..."?
Jeff Davies

Quote:

> Jeff Davies heeft geschreven in bericht ...
> >Johan,
> >I use
> >DoCmd.Quit
> >and don't have any trouble.

> >Hope This Helps,
> >Jeff Davies

> I hope too, because I thought that the Access window then remains open, am
> wrong?

> Thanks Jeff.
> Johan.

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing
Jeff,

This------------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jeff Davies heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Quote:
>Johan,
>What is "heeft geschreven in bericht ..."?
>Jeff Davies

is the Dutch translation of this-------------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

which is the "include original message" option of OE. The crummy text is
autoinserted.
You think I should use an English version of OE?

Johan.

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing

Quote:
> and BTW, I forgot this actor's name sounding like yours: Dirk Bogarde.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's where my mother heard the name.
--

Dirk Goldgar
(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 FE/BE databases shutdown leaves .ldb file existing
Johan,
Aaah, I've learnt something today.
(And I thought you were saying {*filter*} thing about my mother... )

All the best,
Jeff

Quote:
> Jeff,

> This------------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
> Jeff Davies heeft geschreven in bericht ...
> >Johan,
> >What is "heeft geschreven in bericht ..."?
> >Jeff Davies

> is the Dutch translation of this-------------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

> which is the "include original message" option of OE. The crummy text is
> autoinserted.
> You think I should use an English version of OE?

> Johan.

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. LDB file still left behind.

2. When Exiting my VB program it leaves the access lock file .LDB behind untill Re-booted

3. Creation of .ldb file when opening database in read-only

4. DataBase - What are the .LDB files?????

5. Am I OK to take icon association ownership of .ldb

6. FE/BE split generates invalid operation, yes I read the help files :)

7. DAO session creates database.ldb question..

8. Copying database impossible cause of .ldb

9. How to modified existing field and add new field in existing table for Access database

10. Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

11. Jet Database Corruption/High .LDB Write Locks

12. Merging Text File (csv) into existing Database (mdb)