Access and Bar Coding
Author Message
 Access and Bar Coding

I have been asked to extend a manufacturing application I threw together, to
include a bar code reading facility.

The info to be recorded includes a Job No (printed onto a job route card), a
machinist code (taken from a printed list of machinists or their own Badge),
Machine (with a bar coded ID strip on it) and start and end times.

Recording is to be historic (at anytime after the job is finished) so I
cannot rely on a real time clock and may have to resort to a printed time
matrix/barcode sheet.

Users are not likely to be allowed anywhere near the workstation controlling
things and so all entry is to be from a bar code reader(s) at some remote
point.

I have no knowledge or experience of interfacing with hardware but have been
developing Access for quite a while.

Any advice/pointers would be gratefully received.  What hardware options are
available, how do I connect this to my PC/network and how do I get this to
interface with MS access (Office 97).

All assistance greatly appreciated

Hal Evans (UK)

Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access and Bar Coding
Hal, this is a piece of cake ...

The easiest thing to do is get yourself a keyboard wedge barcode reader.
Point your browser at http://www.informatics-inc.com/PRODUCTS/WASPscaNJ.HTM
and take a look at the model 633808091002 Wasp CCD Keyboard Wedge Scanner
for PC for $175.00.  You honestly don't need to know anything about
hardware to use it.  It plugs into your keyboard connection via a 'Y'
connector, so both the scanner and the keyboard are plugged into the same
port.

The scanner takes care of reading any type of barcode you want it to (it's
programmable via barcodes in the supplied user manual).  It then strips the
start and stop bits from the barcode and presents the data to the computer
as keyboard input.  Whichever control has the focus will end up with the
data.

The scanner can also be programmed to send a simulated 'Enter' keypress
after the data transmission.  I use this to click a button whose Default
property has been set to True, which runs an event handler to update the
database, clears the text box that has the focus, and resets the whole
thing for the next scan.  The whole of it is actually rather simple to
accomplish.

As the keyboard is still attached, users can still use it to input data
from damaged barcodes.  I replaced it with a numeric-only keypad to solve
any possible problems from guys I knew who were trying to hack the system
..  ;-)

If you have any other questions on this, please let me know.  BTW, the
sample VB6 app I have at http://www.vbexplorer.com/htmlhelp.htm is based on
a real system that used this scanner.  The sample app is in VB6, but the
executable is included.  You can check it out to see how this all works.
The modules are readable in NotePad if you don't have VB6.

HTH!
David

David's HTMLHelp Center is at http://www.vbexplorer.com
A link to David's HTMLHelp Center is now on the main HTMLHelp
page at microsoft.com

> I have been asked to extend a manufacturing application I threw together,
> include a bar code reading facility.

> The info to be recorded includes a Job No (printed onto a job route
card), a
> machinist code (taken from a printed list of machinists or their own
Badge),
> Machine (with a bar coded ID strip on it) and start and end times.

> Recording is to be historic (at anytime after the job is finished) so I
> cannot rely on a real time clock and may have to resort to a printed time
> matrix/barcode sheet.

> Users are not likely to be allowed anywhere near the workstation
controlling
> things and so all entry is to be from a bar code reader(s) at some remote
> point.

> I have no knowledge or experience of interfacing with hardware but have
been
> developing Access for quite a while.

> Any advice/pointers would be gratefully received.  What hardware options
are
> available, how do I connect this to my PC/network and how do I get this
> interface with MS access (Office 97).

> All assistance greatly appreciated

> Hal Evans (UK)

Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access and Bar Coding
check out www.barcodehq.com

also do a net search on barcodes.

Scanners are an excellent way to populate fields in Access.

HTH,
Dale

Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Bar Code w/ Access and Palm Pilot

2. Access 97 with Bar Codes

3. how do I capture sku and bar codes to update inventory in access database

4. Searching Access via a Bar Code Reader

5. Vb code to print 2D bar-code

6. code 39 bar code

7. Bar CODE VBX or Info, CODE, I/O info for VB 3.0

8. Code to print 2D bar-code

9. How to Code a Bar Code Printout

10. running code from Access that runs code in an excel spreadsheet

11. Calling Excel code within Access code?

12. Sample Code Needed to Compress a MS Access file from code in a VB 6 program