emulating keyboard input
Author Message
 emulating keyboard input

We have a Windows application that produces various reports.  But, currently
these can only be retrieved through manual (mouse clicks and keyboard entry)
inputs.

Can VBA be used to emulate the these manual inputs so that the reports can
be called up automatically from another application? This was simple to do
through batch files in the DOS days.  Can similar functions be accomplished
through a VBA counterpart to a DOS batch file?

Is there a way to do a macro record in Windows to accomplish this?

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Kindest regards,

PJF

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:52:54 GMT
 emulating keyboard input
Hi,

Use the SendKeys command.

WARNING: If another application is made active after the sendkeys command
has completed, the key strokes added to the key board buffer by sendkeys
will be used by the other application. So, innocent keystrokes for one app
may end up doing {*filter*} things in another app. Use SendKeys with great care.

--

Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
add-ons

Rod Gill
Microsoft Project MVP
Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA macros
and Project companion software

Quote:
> We have a Windows application that produces various reports.  But,
currently
> these can only be retrieved through manual (mouse clicks and keyboard
entry)
> inputs.

> Can VBA be used to emulate the these manual inputs so that the reports can
> be called up automatically from another application? This was simple to do
> through batch files in the DOS days.  Can similar functions be
accomplished
> through a VBA counterpart to a DOS batch file?

> Is there a way to do a macro record in Windows to accomplish this?

> Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

> Kindest regards,

> PJF

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 04:05:41 GMT
 emulating keyboard input
Rod,

Thanks so much.  Will try your suggestion and use it with the caution you
advised.

Regards,

Pete

Quote:
> Hi,

> Use the SendKeys command.

> WARNING: If another application is made active after the sendkeys command
> has completed, the key strokes added to the key board buffer by sendkeys
> will be used by the other application. So, innocent keystrokes for one app
> may end up doing {*filter*} things in another app. Use SendKeys with great
care.

> --

> Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
> add-ons

> Rod Gill
> Microsoft Project MVP
> Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA macros
> and Project companion software

> > We have a Windows application that produces various reports.  But,
> currently
> > these can only be retrieved through manual (mouse clicks and keyboard
> entry)
> > inputs.

> > Can VBA be used to emulate the these manual inputs so that the reports
can
> > be called up automatically from another application? This was simple to
do
> > through batch files in the DOS days.  Can similar functions be
> accomplished
> > through a VBA counterpart to a DOS batch file?

> > Is there a way to do a macro record in Windows to accomplish this?

> > Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

> > Kindest regards,

> > PJF

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:57:55 GMT

1. How to disable/enable keyboard input and mouse input

2. keyboard input

3. Handling of keyboard input in forms

4. Keyboard Input

5. Keyboard input