Link Failure in Access 2000 that works in Access 97
Author Message
 Link Failure in Access 2000 that works in Access 97

I have a database that was developed in Access 97 that links to Paradox 4.5
(Dos) tables.
After converting the database to Access 2000 some of the tables will not
link.
I tried deleting the links and re-linking but that did not work.
I tried restructuring the Paradox tables to remove any "special" characters
in the field names suck as "(" or "/" .
This worked the day I made the change but didn't work the next day.
The error message I'm getting from Access 2000 is  "Unexpected error from
external database driver (12034)".

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Failure in Access 2000 that works in Access 97
I haven't done much work in this area, but I seem to remember that A2K has
problems with pdx files that don't follow 8.3 naming conventions. Could that
be it?

 -- Dev

Quote:
> I have a database that was developed in Access 97 that links to Paradox
4.5
> (Dos) tables.
> After converting the database to Access 2000 some of the tables will not
> link.
> I tried deleting the links and re-linking but that did not work.
> I tried restructuring the Paradox tables to remove any "special"
characters
> in the field names suck as "(" or "/" .
> This worked the day I made the change but didn't work the next day.
> The error message I'm getting from Access 2000 is  "Unexpected error from
> external database driver (12034)".

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Failure in Access 2000 that works in Access 97
These files do follow the 8.3 naming convention.

Quote:
> I haven't done much work in this area, but I seem to remember that A2K has
> problems with pdx files that don't follow 8.3 naming conventions. Could
that
> be it?

>  -- Dev

> > I have a database that was developed in Access 97 that links to Paradox
> 4.5
> > (Dos) tables.
> > After converting the database to Access 2000 some of the tables will not
> > link.
> > I tried deleting the links and re-linking but that did not work.
> > I tried restructuring the Paradox tables to remove any "special"
> characters
> > in the field names suck as "(" or "/" .
> > This worked the day I made the change but didn't work the next day.
> > The error message I'm getting from Access 2000 is  "Unexpected error
from
> > external database driver (12034)".
> > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Failure in Access 2000 that works in Access 97

: These files do follow the 8.3 naming convention.

Then I'm stumped, sorry.  Haven't used pdx file at all myself.

  -- Dev

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Link Failure in Access 2000 that works in Access 97

I have no problems linking to Pdx 4 files but have also the Borland BDE
Configuration Utility of Paradox Windows version 7 installed (IDAPI32.CFG).

This point is explained in " Running MS Access 2000" by John Viescas, page
339:
Quote++
MSAC2000 supports linking to Paradox and dBase versions 5.0 and older as
read-only files. If you need to update these files or work with later
versions, you must install the Borland Database Engine (BDE).
Unquote+++

Tue, 01 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Linking Access 97 fornt end to Access 2000 data

2. DLL usage - works in Access 97 but not in Access 2000

3. Program from access 97 won't work in access 2000

4. Getting back the formatted MsgBox in Access 2000 that worked in Access 97

5. Failure starting Access runtime 97 with Office 2000

6. Access 97 upgrade to Access 2000 or Access 2002

7. How to get Access 97 (built on a Windows 2000) to work on 95s and 98s

8. Best method of working with Access 97 / Outlook 2000 / Exchange Server 5.5

9. Correlated subquery in DELETE stmt not work in Access '97 or 2000

10. Conversion error from Access 2000 to Access 97

11. Convert Access 97 db to Access 2000 db in VB6

12. Transfer of Coding from Access 97 to Access 2000