Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag 
Author Message
 Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag

Hi everyone,

I'm currently building a custom application for a governemental
society. This app will be used to monitor the progress of at least 40
different Word 2000 files that will be merged together into a single
huge document to produce this society's annual report. Until all the
documents have been approved, we need to be able to look at the
document as a whole using the latest versions of every delivered
documents. The easiest way to do so would be to use the master
document feature of Microsoft Word but I read a lot about it and it
seems that nobody should use it without a chemical suit!

(see http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

I read somewhere that the rd tags could be used instead of this master
document life threatening feature, using them inside a toc.doc
document. I've been able to build a complete table of content using
those RD tags even though the page numbers are incorrect. The file
toc.doc contains a general table of content that defines the main
titles (First part, second part...) and the rd tags integrate the
inner structure of titles in each of those files they refer to just
like this.

First part
{RD C:\\testWord\\part1.doc}
{RD C:\\testWord\\part1_1.doc}
{RD C:\\testWord\\part1_2.doc}
Second Part
{RD C:\\testWord\\part2.doc}
{RD C:\\testWord\\part2_1.doc}
{RD C:\\testWord\\part2_1_1.doc}
{RD C:\\testWord\\part2_1_2.doc}

This structure was able to build succesfully my entire table of
content. But now, I want to print it. If I print the toc.doc document,
I only get the table of content. Does anyone knows if there is a way
we can print the entire document in a single print job. If not, where
is the interest of the rd tag?

Thanks



Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:12:27 GMT  
 Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag
Hi Stephane,

Quote:


[..]
> > I'm currently building a custom application for a governemental
> > society. This app will be used to monitor the progress of at least
> > 40 different Word 2000 files that will be merged together into a
> > single huge document to produce this society's annual report. Until
> > all the documents have been approved, we need to be able to look at
> > the document as a whole using the latest versions of every
> > delivered documents. [..]
> > I've been able to build a complete table of content using those RD
> > tags even though the page numbers are incorrect.

incorrect in what way? Expected behaviour is that the TOC picks up the
page numbers as the actually are in the individual files. You'll have to
(either by "hand" or macro) take care that the numbering is incrementing
as you wish it to be, this has nothing to do with the RD fields. See for
instance:

Consecutive Number RD-referenced Documents:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=uNZ3lVDGAH...

[..]

Quote:
> > This structure was able to build succesfully my entire table of
> > content. But now, I want to print it. If I print the toc.doc
> > document, I only get the table of content. Does anyone knows if
> > there is a way we can print the entire document in a single print
> > job. If not, where is the interest of the rd tag?

the interest is to do what you just did: compile a TOC and possibly
other tables (of figures, etc.) and indexes. Plus: you only need RD
fields if the thing you're having is too big to put into one single
file. Especially since you say you are finished with the work now, one
(possibly huge) file might even be the easiest approach for you (unless
you need to spilt-up the whole beast again in the end: then
INCLUDETEXT-fields, which can even bring changes done in the big file
back into the parts, might be a better idea).

2cents
.bob
..Word-MVP
--
 /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /
  X        Against HTML
 / \     in e-mail & news



Wed, 09 Nov 2005 00:16:30 GMT  
 Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag
Hi Robert,

I read on MSDN that the rd tags had to be used exclusively for
building a table of content. But there was this guy who wrote in a
message that he used it as a workaround for the master document
feature. I had doubts but I tried to find out how he did it and never
found anything. You did confirm that. I found out about the
IncludeText last week and it seems to work well for me except that I
need to find a way to refresh the document everytime a subdocument is
being replaced in the folder. I don't want the user to refresh every
linked documents by hand since there are more than 40. I guess my
VB.NET can help me solving this little problem using the MS Word
reference on the main document.

Thanks

Stephane Belzile


Quote:
> Hi Stephane,



>  [..]
> > > I'm currently building a custom application for a governemental
> > > society. This app will be used to monitor the progress of at least
> > > 40 different Word 2000 files that will be merged together into a
> > > single huge document to produce this society's annual report. Until
> > > all the documents have been approved, we need to be able to look at
> > > the document as a whole using the latest versions of every
> > > delivered documents. [..]
> > > I've been able to build a complete table of content using those RD
> > > tags even though the page numbers are incorrect.

> incorrect in what way? Expected behaviour is that the TOC picks up the
> page numbers as the actually are in the individual files. You'll have to
> (either by "hand" or macro) take care that the numbering is incrementing
> as you wish it to be, this has nothing to do with the RD fields. See for
> instance:

> Consecutive Number RD-referenced Documents:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=uNZ3lVDGAH...

> [..]
> > > This structure was able to build succesfully my entire table of
> > > content. But now, I want to print it. If I print the toc.doc
> > > document, I only get the table of content. Does anyone knows if
> > > there is a way we can print the entire document in a single print
> > > job. If not, where is the interest of the rd tag?

> the interest is to do what you just did: compile a TOC and possibly
> other tables (of figures, etc.) and indexes. Plus: you only need RD
> fields if the thing you're having is too big to put into one single
> file. Especially since you say you are finished with the work now, one
> (possibly huge) file might even be the easiest approach for you (unless
> you need to spilt-up the whole beast again in the end: then
> INCLUDETEXT-fields, which can even bring changes done in the big file
> back into the parts, might be a better idea).

> 2cents
> .bob
> ..Word-MVP



Sun, 13 Nov 2005 04:05:54 GMT  
 Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag
Hi Stephane,

Quote:
> Does anyone knows if there is a way
> we can print the entire document in a single print job. If not, where
> is the interest of the rd tag?

Only in *referencing* (=R) the document, in order to pull out
information for a TOC or an Index. There's no way that will enable you
to print the whole thing in one go.

If you're not planning to edit or permenently archive the Master Doc,
there's no reason you can't use it to print these separate files.
That's really what it's for.
- Back up the separate files (just in case)
- Insert them all into a Master Doc as Subdocs. the Master doc should
be made from the same template used to create the subdocs.
- Generate the TOC
- Print

As long as this is the only thing you ever do, and as long as you
always have a set of back-up copies of the subdocs before you open the
MasterDoc. And as long as you never try to open and edit the sub-docs
through the Master Doc, you should be OK.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jan 24 2003)
http://www.mvps.org/word

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question
or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)



Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:26:00 GMT  
 Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag


Quote:
> Hi Robert,

> I read on MSDN that the rd tags had to be used exclusively for
> building a table of content. But there was this guy who wrote in a
> message that he used it as a workaround for the master document
> feature. I had doubts but I tried to find out how he did it and never
> found anything. You did confirm that. I found out about the
> IncludeText last week and it seems to work well for me except that I
> need to find a way to refresh the document everytime a subdocument is
> being replaced in the folder. I don't want the user to refresh every
> linked documents by hand since there are more than 40. I guess my
> VB.NET can help me solving this little problem using the MS Word
> reference on the main document.

I wrote an article earlier this year on how to do what you are looking for.
Take a look here

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=148

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP
MultiLinker - Automated generation of hyperlinks in Word
Conversion to PDF & HTML
http://www.multilinker.com
Word FAQs at http://www.multilinker.com/wordfaq
Please post any follow-up in the newsgroup. I do not reply to Word questions
by email



Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:15:44 GMT  
 Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag
Thanks for your help. I decided to use the IncludeText feature and it
does the job very well.
Quote:



> > Hi Robert,

> > I read on MSDN that the rd tags had to be used exclusively for
> > building a table of content. But there was this guy who wrote in a
> > message that he used it as a workaround for the master document
> > feature. I had doubts but I tried to find out how he did it and never
> > found anything. You did confirm that. I found out about the
> > IncludeText last week and it seems to work well for me except that I
> > need to find a way to refresh the document everytime a subdocument is
> > being replaced in the folder. I don't want the user to refresh every
> > linked documents by hand since there are more than 40. I guess my
> > VB.NET can help me solving this little problem using the MS Word
> > reference on the main document.

> I wrote an article earlier this year on how to do what you are looking for.
> Take a look here

> Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents
> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=148

> --
> Regards
> Jonathan West - Word MVP
> MultiLinker - Automated generation of hyperlinks in Word
> Conversion to PDF & HTML
> http://www.multilinker.com
> Word FAQs at http://www.multilinker.com/wordfaq
> Please post any follow-up in the newsgroup. I do not reply to Word questions
> by email



Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:08:17 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. print multiple word documents using a macro

2. Help. Reading/displaying/printing Word Documents/RTF documents

3. Printing Multiple Documents in Word

4. Cutting a full Word document and pasting it in another Word Document

5. Using VBA to Print a Multitude of MS Word Documents

6. Printing documents in Word using COM

7. Using VB to print Word Documents

8. Building in a Timer to Word Documents..

9. Accessing Word custom/built in document properties from Excel

10. Print a Word document from VB and then Close Word

11. Write Script Tag using Document.Write

12. Saving Master And Sub-Documents As HTML in Word 2002

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software