Read installed programs from the registry?
Author Message
 Read installed programs from the registry?

Hi,

is there a possibility to read all installed programs on my computer
from the registry using Access/Excel/VBA?

Your help is kindly appreciated.

Steffen Grellmann

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 04:11:36 GMT
 Read installed programs from the registry?
hi
the registry may not have information about ALL the programs installed on
your system. a program has to create an entry for itself in the registry.
these entries are usually in hkey_local_Machine. however if you want to
write programs to browse and manipulate the regsitry then there are 2
options

1) the hard way is to use the API calls via VB

2) a really nice and easy way that i discovered when i was working with the
registry is by using the DLL REGOBJ.DLL. if you dont have this dll get it
fome someone else who has it and make a reference to it in your VB project.
it makes working with local as well as remote registries really easy.

you could use regobj.dll or the API calls yif you wish to retrun the names
of all the keys under the hkey_local_machine\Software key

Check it out

Saurabh Singhvi

Quote:
> Hi,

> is there a possibility to read all installed programs on my computer
> from the registry using Access/Excel/VBA?

> Your help is kindly appreciated.

> Steffen Grellmann

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:01:39 GMT
 Read installed programs from the registry?
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:01:39 -0500, "Saurabh Singhvi"

Quote:

>2) a really nice and easy way that i discovered when i was working with the
>registry is by using the DLL REGOBJ.DLL. if you dont have this dll get it
>fome someone else who has it and make a reference to it in your VB project.
>it makes working with local as well as remote registries really easy.

>you could use regobj.dll or the API calls yif you wish to retrun the names
>of all the keys under the hkey_local_machine\Software key

>Check it out

>Saurabh Singhvi

Hi Saurabh,

thank you very much for replying. In the meantime I've got the dll and
checked out the documentation which sounds interesting. Unfortunately
I'm not so well experienced in programming with VB that I just want to
ask again for some help:

As you know I want to obtain a list of all the installed programs from
the registry and found the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

very suitable for this. At the moment I'm not sure how the code must
be to get all the subkeys (softwares) from the above path.

Your help would be kindly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steffen

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:35:02 GMT

1. Newbie needs help in reading installed programs from the registry using RegObj.dll

2. Newbie needs help in reading installed programs from the registry using RegObj.dll

3. Newbie needs help in reading installed programs from the registry using RegObj.dll

4. Newbie needs help in reading installed programs from the registry using RegObj.dll

5. Registry read Failure when program launched by AT scheduling program

6. Reading Registry in a 16-bit program

7. REGISTRY How can I read a registry key?

8. Read Registry Keys and Trees / API Call for Registry access

9. creating an install program (which doesn't need to be installed itself)

10. Install program to install for Win95/WinNT

11. Is there an update program instal program?

12. How install Program Icon on Networked VB4 program?