VBA File Uploads and Access 
Author Message
 VBA File Uploads and Access

I am new to Access programming so please forgive...
I need help uploading files to Access in a OLE Object
column. The Access form they were using they would just
drag and drop email files(*.eml, *.msg) or Word documents
onto the form and in the record it would show up
as "package" or "Word Document", which would allow you to
just double-click the record and either your email client
would display the email or Word would launch to display
the document.

I have since created a Outlook macro to automate the
entries in the database. Right now I am doing a binary
read to format the files to insert them into the DB, but
now the new files show up as "long binary" and I would
like Access to continue to launch them as it used to. Is
there another way to upload these types of files so it
will retain the document type info?

Thanks



Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:32:03 GMT  
 VBA File Uploads and Access


Quote:
> I need help uploading files to Access in a OLE Object
> column.

Not generally a good idea. The OLE object adds _huge_ amounts of overhead
that usually overwhelms the size of the actual file/ object itself, and you
will find yourself rapidly hitting the 1 or 2 GB limit on an mdb file. A
better strategy is to save the file on a disk and store the file name/ path
only, allowing the user to open it in the time-honored way.

Have a look at Dev Ashish's Access Web: <http://www.mvps.org/access/>

Hope that helps

Tim F



Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:02:03 GMT  
 VBA File Uploads and Access
Tim,
Thanks for the response. With this DB, it will not be used
all that often and by only one user on a single machine.
I have found the code to do exactly what I need, but
written in C++ and I can't find corresponding code for VB.

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----


>> I need help uploading files to Access in a OLE Object
>> column.

>Not generally a good idea. The OLE object adds _huge_

amounts of overhead
Quote:
>that usually overwhelms the size of the actual file/

object itself, and you
Quote:
>will find yourself rapidly hitting the 1 or 2 GB limit on
an mdb file. A
>better strategy is to save the file on a disk and store

the file name/ path
Quote:
>only, allowing the user to open it in the time-honored
way.

>Have a look at Dev Ashish's Access Web:

<http://www.mvps.org/access/>
Quote:

>Hope that helps

>Tim F

>.



Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:49:05 GMT  
 VBA File Uploads and Access


Quote:
> Thanks for the response. With this DB, it will not be used
> all that often and by only one user on a single machine.
> I have found the code to do exactly what I need, but
> written in C++ and I can't find corresponding code for VB.

I think AppendChunk and GetChunk methods are what you are looking for.

Tim F



Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:49:36 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Datei Upload per HTTP / File upload via HTTP

2. Uploading files to an access dbase with vbscript

3. Access VBA - Trying to compare QIF file with a PeachTree File

4. Access 97 VBA v Access 2K VBA - different ?

5. Access 2000 VBA Handbook vis a vis Access 97 VBA Handbook

6. Open file dialog box and upload file

7. File upload from VB 6 to ASP file using http form post

8. Access 2000 - VBA Help File Corrupted?

9. MS Access 2000 VBA Help files - problem?

10. unhide an excel file w/vba in access

11. VBA import html text files to access

12. Missing Help Files for VBA in Access 2000

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software