Multiuser, CurrentDb, DBEngine and thee
Author Message
 Multiuser, CurrentDb, DBEngine and thee

I am automating an Access database via Word 9.
So far, all db operations are DAO only, no need to use Access, just DAO 3.6.

In a multiuser environment, must I create an instance of Access so that I
can use CurrentDb to point to the open database?
From what I've read, if I do not use CurrentDb, and use DBEngine instead,
then I have to refresh collections before I use them.

In effect, the only thing I am doing is adding a record, or updating a
record.
Do I have to worry about refreshing anything?

--
Please post your response to the newsgroup.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; Word macros, including
converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:49:47 GMT
 Multiuser, CurrentDb, DBEngine and thee
Probably not, no. As I understand it, you would only need to refresh
collections after you have added or deleted an item in the collection. For
example, if you programmatically created a table or query and then later in
your code needed to refer to that table as a member of the TableDefs
collection.

--
Brendan Reynolds

http://www11.ewebcity.com/brenreyn

Quote:
> I am automating an Access database via Word 9.
> So far, all db operations are DAO only, no need to use Access, just DAO
3.6.

> In a multiuser environment, must I create an instance of Access so that I
> can use CurrentDb to point to the open database?
> From what I've read, if I do not use CurrentDb, and use DBEngine instead,
> then I have to refresh collections before I use them.

> In effect, the only thing I am doing is adding a record, or updating a
> record.
> Do I have to worry about refreshing anything?

> --
> Please post your response to the newsgroup.

> http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
> converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing;
Standards

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:24:50 GMT
 Multiuser, CurrentDb, DBEngine and thee
That is my understanding.

Since the Word project needs to include a reference to the DAO 3.6 library
to use early binding when automating from Word, I see no reason to also have
a reference to Access, unless I am going to be using Access specific
thingees.

--
Please post your response to the newsgroup.

http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards

> Probably not, no. As I understand it, you would only need to refresh
> collections after you have added or deleted an item in the collection. For
> example, if you programmatically created a table or query and then later
in
> your code needed to refer to that table as a member of the TableDefs
> collection.

> --
> Brendan Reynolds

> http://www11.ewebcity.com/brenreyn

> > I am automating an Access database via Word 9.
> > So far, all db operations are DAO only, no need to use Access, just DAO
> 3.6.

> > In a multiuser environment, must I create an instance of Access so that
> > can use CurrentDb to point to the open database?
> > From what I've read, if I do not use CurrentDb, and use DBEngine
instead,
> > then I have to refresh collections before I use them.

> > In effect, the only thing I am doing is adding a record, or updating a
> > record.
> > Do I have to worry about refreshing anything?

> > --
> > Please post your response to the newsgroup.

> > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
> > converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing;
> Standards

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:40:22 GMT

1. CurrentDb vs. DBEngine

2. Close vs Nothing + CurrentDB vs DBEngine

3. CurrentDb() taking away Exclusive Access to, umm, CurrentDb()

4. currentdb

5. CurrentDB Error

6. RecordLocking with currentdb.execute

7. CurrentDb not returning value

8. Not using CurrentDB

9. CurrentDB.Name comes back as DOS

10. vba : currentdb open in exclusive mode ?

11. Error 429 and CurrentDb

12. Link table to currentdb