Listing of Text Import/Export Specifications
Author Message
 Listing of Text Import/Export Specifications

Hi. I am relatively inexperienced programming with the Access object model,
though i am a professional VB programmer. I am wondering if someone can help
with a question re: the Access object model.

I have a VB program which takes a text file from the user, imports the file
into one of the tables, and then uses several queries to update the data
from the access table into an Oracle table.

Everything works fine. I would like however to provide the user with drop
down lists of the tables available to import into, and the text import
specifications available in the database. listing the tables is easy, just
enumerate through the DB.tables collection. I cannot for the life of me
however find anywhere to obtain a list of all the text-import specifications
available in the database. Is there anyway to get this list?

TIA --

Aaron Abdis
American Data Services, Inc.

ICQ#: 24336432

Sun, 07 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Listing of Text Import/Export Specifications
I would love to have that too.

The only way I can find them is to go through a manual import, you will see
a advanced button which will take you to another gui and there you should
see "Specs" or something similar.  Just cancel the import when you are
done...

Quote:
>Hi. I am relatively inexperienced programming with the Access object model,
>though i am a professional VB programmer. I am wondering if someone can
help
>with a question re: the Access object model.

>I have a VB program which takes a text file from the user, imports the file
>into one of the tables, and then uses several queries to update the data
>from the access table into an Oracle table.

>Everything works fine. I would like however to provide the user with drop
>down lists of the tables available to import into, and the text import
>specifications available in the database. listing the tables is easy, just
>enumerate through the DB.tables collection. I cannot for the life of me
>however find anywhere to obtain a list of all the text-import
specifications
>available in the database. Is there anyway to get this list?

>TIA --

>Aaron Abdis
>American Data Services, Inc.

>ICQ#: 24336432

Sun, 07 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Listing of Text Import/Export Specifications
Hi Aaron,

If an Access db has saved specs, two system tables, namely MSysIMEXSpecs and
MSysIMEXColumns will be automatically created (the first time a spec is
saved).

Once you make sure that the tables exist, you can use something like this
SQL statement to list out all specs.

SELECT MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecName, MSysIMEXColumns.*
FROM MSysIMEXSpecs INNER JOIN MSysIMEXColumns ON MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecID =
MSysIMEXColumns.SpecID;

Or if you just need the Spec Name, try

SELECT MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecName
FROM MSysIMEXSpecs
ORDER BY MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecName;

HTH
--
Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
---------------

:
[...]

Thank you!, that looks like exactly what i need.

--

Aaron Abdis
American Data Services, Inc.

ICQ#: 24336432

Quote:
> Hi Aaron,

> If an Access db has saved specs, two system tables, namely MSysIMEXSpecs
and
> MSysIMEXColumns will be automatically created (the first time a spec is
> saved).

> Once you make sure that the tables exist, you can use something like this
> SQL statement to list out all specs.

> SELECT MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecName, MSysIMEXColumns.*
> FROM MSysIMEXSpecs INNER JOIN MSysIMEXColumns ON MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecID =
> MSysIMEXColumns.SpecID;

> Or if you just need the Spec Name, try

> SELECT MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecName
> FROM MSysIMEXSpecs
> ORDER BY MSysIMEXSpecs.SpecName;

> HTH
> --
> Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
> ---------------
> The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
> ---------------

> : Hi. I am relatively inexperienced programming with the Access object
> model,
> : though i am a professional VB programmer. I am wondering if someone can
> help
> : with a question re: the Access object model.
> :
> : I have a VB program which takes a text file from the user, imports the
> file
> : into one of the tables, and then uses several queries to update the data
> : from the access table into an Oracle table.
> :
> : Everything works fine. I would like however to provide the user with
drop
> : down lists of the tables available to import into, and the text import
> : specifications available in the database. listing the tables is easy,
just
> : enumerate through the DB.tables collection. I cannot for the life of me
> : however find anywhere to obtain a list of all the text-import
> specifications
> : available in the database. Is there anyway to get this list?
> :
> : TIA --
> :
> : Aaron Abdis
> : American Data Services, Inc.
> :

> :
> : ICQ#: 24336432
> :
> :
> :

Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Copy Import/Export Specifications

2. Manipulating import/export specifications in code

3. Fixed-Width Import/Export Specification File

4. Getting a list of Import Specifications with VBA

5. composing text import specifications for use with TransferText()

6. Exporting text w/o a specification

7. import/export contact list macro?

8. MCP Needs help: Trying to list Imports/Exports table from Visual Basic

9. Export/Import Forms as Text Files

10. TEXT Import/Export Problem

11. Import/Export of Text Files

12. Importing and Exporting Text Data with Jet/DAO?