Error 3197 because of corrupted Memo fields in Access 2 database, using Jet 3.50.
Author Message
 Error 3197 because of corrupted Memo fields in Access 2 database, using Jet 3.50.

I am getting corruption in Access 2 databases.  My VB app was previously
16-bit (VB4), using DAO 2.5 and had no such problems.  I recently upgraded
the app to 32-bit (VB5) using DAO 3.50 and everything seemed OK until now -
some users are reporting error 3197.  I have tracked as much info as I can:

It affects some, but not all, memo fields that contain non-blank ("")
values.

It is only the fields that are effected, other fields in the same rows are
still readable.

Error 3197, according to Access help, is a locking problem.  MS Knowledge
base clarifies that the error message is misleading - the cause of the
problem is that the link between the database row and the actual memo value
has been lost.

Trying to access the corrupted memo field value in Access 95, displays the
corrupted fields as #Error and gives Error 3197 if you try to edit the
values.

It is a known bug (I think with Jet 3.5 although Microsoft are not clear if
it is specific to this version or not).

Running a repair on the database simply deletes any effected fields.

Running convert or Compact gives an error.

My thoughts so far on this are that the problem is irrecoverable (although
I'd be more than pleased if someone out there has a way to recover the lost
values).  I am after a way of avoiding this issue occurring again - would
reverting my applications to DAO 3.00 solve the problem?

Thanks for your time in reading this, even if you can't help.

Kevin McGrath

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 3197 because of corrupted Memo fields in Access 2 database, using Jet 3.50.
As for recovering the data, if you don't mind paying a fee, you could
contact http://www.pksolutions.com

My recommendation would be to upgrade the database engine to Jet 3.52
(Access 97, SR-2) and use DAO 3.5

 -- Andy

Quote:

>I am getting corruption in Access 2 databases.  My VB app was previously
>16-bit (VB4), using DAO 2.5 and had no such problems.  I recently upgraded
>the app to 32-bit (VB5) using DAO 3.50 and everything seemed OK until now -
>some users are reporting error 3197.  I have tracked as much info as I can:

>It affects some, but not all, memo fields that contain non-blank ("")
>values.

>It is only the fields that are effected, other fields in the same rows are
>still readable.

>Error 3197, according to Access help, is a locking problem.  MS Knowledge
>base clarifies that the error message is misleading - the cause of the
>problem is that the link between the database row and the actual memo value
>has been lost.

>Trying to access the corrupted memo field value in Access 95, displays the
>corrupted fields as #Error and gives Error 3197 if you try to edit the
>values.

>It is a known bug (I think with Jet 3.5 although Microsoft are not clear if
>it is specific to this version or not).

>Running a repair on the database simply deletes any effected fields.

>Running convert or Compact gives an error.

>My thoughts so far on this are that the problem is irrecoverable (although
>I'd be more than pleased if someone out there has a way to recover the lost
>values).  I am after a way of avoiding this issue occurring again - would
>reverting my applications to DAO 3.00 solve the problem?

>Thanks for your time in reading this, even if you can't help.

>Kevin McGrath

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error 3197, the jet database stopped

2. Error: 3197 Description: The Microsoft jet database engine ...

3. 3197 Microsoft Jet database engine

4. Puzzling Error - 3197 - Jet Stopped Process?

5. Jet Engine Error 3197 without Edit

6. Accessing Access 2.0 databases with Jet 3.5

7. Corrupted Access97 Database because of memo Field?

8. Corrupt memo fields in Access 97?

9. jet 3.5 corrupting

10. Error when using Access Memo Field and ASP

11. Database error 3197

12. error using recordset.edit method (3197)