Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)
Author Message
 Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)

What effect would it give to use the Opendatabase method with a backend
database that does not have any tabledefs linked to the currentDB versus
using DBEngine(0)(0) with linked tables ?
Would Opendatabase("SomeDB").Openrecordset perform better, equal or worse
than DBEngine(0)(0).Opendatabase on a linked table given a senario with:
1) a network and several users
2) single user
Thanks for any hints.

--
Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
www.master-office.com

Mon, 03 May 2004 00:20:46 GMT
 Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)
This is really a non-question. Base your decision on the functionality you
want, in the end perf will depend on what you are DOING.

--
MichKa

Michael Kaplan
(principal developer of the MSLU)
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

Quote:
> What effect would it give to use the Opendatabase method with a backend
> database that does not have any tabledefs linked to the currentDB versus
> using DBEngine(0)(0) with linked tables ?
> Would Opendatabase("SomeDB").Openrecordset perform better, equal or worse
> than DBEngine(0)(0).Opendatabase on a linked table given a senario with:
> 1) a network and several users
> 2) single user
> Thanks for any hints.

> --
> Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> www.master-office.com

Tue, 04 May 2004 00:46:32 GMT
 Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)
Well, I obviously know to little about this.
I have a frontend backend with linked tables. And I use regular queries, SQL
in VBA and RecordSource to manipulate my data.
I am looking for methods to reduse the network load and have my app run as
smooth as possible with several (20) users on a network.
I was also looking at Pass-Through queries but did not get it to work. Is it
not ment for Access backend DB's.

--
Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
www.master-office.com

Quote:
> This is really a non-question. Base your decision on the functionality you
> want, in the end perf will depend on what you are DOING.

> --
> MichKa

> Michael Kaplan
> (principal developer of the MSLU)
> Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
> the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

> > What effect would it give to use the Opendatabase method with a backend
> > database that does not have any tabledefs linked to the currentDB versus
> > using DBEngine(0)(0) with linked tables ?
> > Would Opendatabase("SomeDB").Openrecordset perform better, equal or
worse
> > than DBEngine(0)(0).Opendatabase on a linked table given a senario with:
> > 1) a network and several users
> > 2) single user
> > Thanks for any hints.

> > --
> > Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> > www.master-office.com

Tue, 04 May 2004 05:25:22 GMT
 Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)
SPT is something useful for ODBC data sources IF AND ONLY IF you are
confident that your queries will bve more effieicent than those Jet would
constuct.

--
MichKa

Michael Kaplan
(principal developer of the MSLU)
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

Quote:
> Well, I obviously know to little about this.
> I have a frontend backend with linked tables. And I use regular queries,
SQL
> in VBA and RecordSource to manipulate my data.
> I am looking for methods to reduse the network load and have my app run as
> smooth as possible with several (20) users on a network.
> I was also looking at Pass-Through queries but did not get it to work. Is
it
> not ment for Access backend DB's.

> --
> Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> www.master-office.com

skrev

> > This is really a non-question. Base your decision on the functionality
you
> > want, in the end perf will depend on what you are DOING.

> > --
> > MichKa

> > Michael Kaplan
> > (principal developer of the MSLU)
> > Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
> > the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

> > > What effect would it give to use the Opendatabase method with a
backend
> > > database that does not have any tabledefs linked to the currentDB
versus
> > > using DBEngine(0)(0) with linked tables ?
> > > Would Opendatabase("SomeDB").Openrecordset perform better, equal or
> worse
> > > than DBEngine(0)(0).Opendatabase on a linked table given a senario
with:
> > > 1) a network and several users
> > > 2) single user
> > > Thanks for any hints.

> > > --
> > > Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> > > www.master-office.com

Tue, 04 May 2004 06:03:14 GMT
 Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)
What about the linked tables. How much resources do the connection require
in a network environment.

--
Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
www.master-office.com

Quote:
> SPT is something useful for ODBC data sources IF AND ONLY IF you are
> confident that your queries will bve more effieicent than those Jet would
> constuct.

> --
> MichKa

> Michael Kaplan
> (principal developer of the MSLU)
> Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
> the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

> > Well, I obviously know to little about this.
> > I have a frontend backend with linked tables. And I use regular queries,
> SQL
> > in VBA and RecordSource to manipulate my data.
> > I am looking for methods to reduse the network load and have my app run
as
> > smooth as possible with several (20) users on a network.
> > I was also looking at Pass-Through queries but did not get it to work.
Is
> it
> > not ment for Access backend DB's.

> > --
> > Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> > www.master-office.com

> skrev

> > > This is really a non-question. Base your decision on the functionality
> you
> > > want, in the end perf will depend on what you are DOING.

> > > --
> > > MichKa

> > > Michael Kaplan
> > > (principal developer of the MSLU)
> > > Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
> > > the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

> backend
> versus
> > worse
> with:

Tue, 04 May 2004 14:47:32 GMT
 Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)
A linked table is just that -- a link. Jet opens the db and then there is an
active cursor each table -- just like an OpenDatabase with a bunch of tables
opened on it.

Like I said, this should SOLELY be based on functionality. First get it
working right, then worry about making it fast later if there are blocking
issues.

--
MichKa

Michael Kaplan
(principal developer of the MSLU)
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

Quote:
> What about the linked tables. How much resources do the connection require
> in a network environment.

> --
> Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> www.master-office.com

skrev

> > SPT is something useful for ODBC data sources IF AND ONLY IF you are
> > confident that your queries will bve more effieicent than those Jet
would
> > constuct.

> > --
> > MichKa

> > Michael Kaplan
> > (principal developer of the MSLU)
> > Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
> > the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

> > > Well, I obviously know to little about this.
> > > I have a frontend backend with linked tables. And I use regular
queries,
> > SQL
> > > in VBA and RecordSource to manipulate my data.
> > > I am looking for methods to reduse the network load and have my app
run
> as
> > > smooth as possible with several (20) users on a network.
> > > I was also looking at Pass-Through queries but did not get it to work.
> Is
> > it
> > > not ment for Access backend DB's.

> > > --
> > > Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> > > www.master-office.com

> > skrev

> > you

> > backend
> > versus
> > > worse
> > with:

Tue, 04 May 2004 15:28:08 GMT
 Opendatabase vs. DBEngine(0)(0)
Thanks Michael.

--
Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
www.master-office.com

Quote:
> A linked table is just that -- a link. Jet opens the db and then there is
an
> active cursor each table -- just like an OpenDatabase with a bunch of
tables
> opened on it.

> Like I said, this should SOLELY be based on functionality. First get it
> working right, then worry about making it fast later if there are blocking
> issues.

> --
> MichKa

> Michael Kaplan
> (principal developer of the MSLU)
> Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
> the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

> > What about the linked tables. How much resources do the connection
require
> > in a network environment.

> > --
> > Regards Hans-Chr. Francke
> > www.master-office.com

> skrev

> > > SPT is something useful for ODBC data sources IF AND ONLY IF you are
> > > confident that your queries will bve more effieicent than those Jet
> would
> > > constuct.

> > > --
> > > MichKa

> > > Michael Kaplan
> > > (principal developer of the MSLU)
> > > Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/
> > > the book -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/

> queries,
> > > SQL
> run
> > as
> > Is
> > > it

> > > skrev

> functionality
> > > you

> > > backend
> > > versus
> or
> > > with:

Thu, 06 May 2004 15:56:03 GMT

1. Why Access Loads with DBEngine.OpenDatabase command?

2. Help with DBEngine.OpenDatabase

3. DAO.DBEngine.OpenDatabase Error

4. Close vs Nothing + CurrentDB vs DBEngine

5. DAO questions... DBEngine vs Workspace vs Database

6. Q: DBEngine - vs- Workspace & transactions

7. CurrentDb vs. DBEngine

8. MySQL vs Jet DBengine (DAO)

9. OpenConnection vs OpenDatabase

10. Opendatabase vs Dataenivornment

11. Newbie confused: VB6 vs VB.Net vs VBScript vs VBA

12. Access vs SQL Server vs Sybase vs Oracle