CDO 1.2, Outlook 2000 and Appointments
Author Message
 CDO 1.2, Outlook 2000 and Appointments

I have been trying to decide whether to use CDO 1.2 or Outlook 2000 to do a
project.  My project is to write a wrapper that will be able to add
appointments, update appointments e.g. change the time and day, and remove
appointments.  The wrapper needs to be able to do this in any Exchange 5.5
user's calendar.  I have seen some discussion that leads me to believe that
CDO only likes to work for the user logged in to a session.  I have seen
examples that use Outlook Namespaces and recipients to get to any user's
calendar.  I need to be able to retrieve the appointment I have added to
John Doe's calendar and update or remove it.  The EntryID property in
Outlook looks like the unique identifier.  I see that it changes when moved
to a new folder, but it looks like I could use this as long as the
appointment stays in the user's Calendar folder.  I thought I might use the
EntryID to retrieve the appointment to update or remove.  Is this a good
idea?  CDO has a GetMessage call that takes a EntryID and a StoreID, but I
didn't see one in Outlook.  What I want to do seems like a pretty common
task.  Are there recommendations for me from you folks that have some
experience.  Thanks much, Markp

Fri, 03 Oct 2003 01:37:45 GMT
 CDO 1.2, Outlook 2000 and Appointments
Outlook has a NameSpace.GetItemFromID method that you can use with
EntryID to locate an item. For other people's folders you can use
NameSpace.GetSharedDefaultFolder to get at their calendars if you have
permissions.

With CDO you also can use EntryID and you also can use other people's
folders if you have permissions and can use their logins. See
www.cdolive.com for examples of this.

I use both object models all the time, the choice depends on ease of
use (Outlook), speed (CDO), size of data set (CDO for large sets of
data) and ease of working with the item type. A lot will also depend
on CDO being installed, it's an optional install for Outlook 2000.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Quote:
> I have been trying to decide whether to use CDO 1.2 or Outlook 2000
to do a
> project.  My project is to write a wrapper that will be able to add
> appointments, update appointments e.g. change the time and day, and
remove
> appointments.  The wrapper needs to be able to do this in any
Exchange 5.5
> user's calendar.  I have seen some discussion that leads me to
believe that
> CDO only likes to work for the user logged in to a session.  I have
seen
> examples that use Outlook Namespaces and recipients to get to any
user's
> calendar.  I need to be able to retrieve the appointment I have
added to
> John Doe's calendar and update or remove it.  The EntryID property
in
> Outlook looks like the unique identifier.  I see that it changes
when moved
> to a new folder, but it looks like I could use this as long as the
> appointment stays in the user's Calendar folder.  I thought I might
use the
> EntryID to retrieve the appointment to update or remove.  Is this a
good
> idea?  CDO has a GetMessage call that takes a EntryID and a StoreID,
but I
> didn't see one in Outlook.  What I want to do seems like a pretty
common
> task.  Are there recommendations for me from you folks that have
some
> experience.  Thanks much, Markp

Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:21:17 GMT
 CDO 1.2, Outlook 2000 and Appointments
Also keep in mind that if your application needs to run as an NT Service,
you will not be able to use the Outlook Object Model.

Marcel

Quote:
> Outlook has a NameSpace.GetItemFromID method that you can use with
> EntryID to locate an item. For other people's folders you can use
> NameSpace.GetSharedDefaultFolder to get at their calendars if you have
> permissions.

> With CDO you also can use EntryID and you also can use other people's
> folders if you have permissions and can use their logins. See
> www.cdolive.com for examples of this.

> I use both object models all the time, the choice depends on ease of
> use (Outlook), speed (CDO), size of data set (CDO for large sets of
> data) and ease of working with the item type. A lot will also depend
> on CDO being installed, it's an optional install for Outlook 2000.

> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> Lead Author, Professional Outlook 2000 Programming, Wrox Press
> Co-author of "Programming Microsoft Outlook 2000", Chapters 8-13,
> Appendices, Sams

> > I have been trying to decide whether to use CDO 1.2 or Outlook 2000
> to do a
> > project.  My project is to write a wrapper that will be able to add
> > appointments, update appointments e.g. change the time and day, and
> remove
> > appointments.  The wrapper needs to be able to do this in any
> Exchange 5.5
> > user's calendar.  I have seen some discussion that leads me to
> believe that
> > CDO only likes to work for the user logged in to a session.  I have
> seen
> > examples that use Outlook Namespaces and recipients to get to any
> user's
> > calendar.  I need to be able to retrieve the appointment I have
> added to
> > John Doe's calendar and update or remove it.  The EntryID property
> in
> > Outlook looks like the unique identifier.  I see that it changes
> when moved
> > to a new folder, but it looks like I could use this as long as the
> > appointment stays in the user's Calendar folder.  I thought I might
> use the
> > EntryID to retrieve the appointment to update or remove.  Is this a
> good
> > idea?  CDO has a GetMessage call that takes a EntryID and a StoreID,
> but I
> > didn't see one in Outlook.  What I want to do seems like a pretty
> common
> > task.  Are there recommendations for me from you folks that have
> some
> > experience.  Thanks much, Markp

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:20:53 GMT

1. port outlook app to win2k, cdo 1.2 or cdo for windows 2000?

2. CDO 1.2 and VB5

3. CDO 1.2 from VB5

4. CDO vs Outlook 2000 Object Library?? (Outlook Newbie)

5. Problem with CDO 1.2 when accessing/extracting SMTP-addresses under Win 2000 and Win 98 (but works fine under Win NT)

6. Setting Multiple Appointment Items in Outlook 2000 VBS

7. Outlook 2000 VBA: Making New Appointment in Current Folder

8. howto write address book for outlook 2000 in vb/cdo

9. Export | Import Outlook Appointments without Outlook

10. Acquiring Appointments from Exchange server using CDO.

11. Incorporating Assembly into BASIC - Chpater 1.2

12. Mouse support in QB 1.2