Visio 2002 as a query tool?
Author Message
 Visio 2002 as a query tool?

I have a access 2002 database that contains Plant Names,
Tagnames, and I/O field device data that I want to import
into a harware layout  and wiring drawing.  Plant Name is
primary key.  All harware between plants is the same,
only variation is in tagname and scaleing information of
the points.
My desire is to have one master drawing, with a single
field point pointed to tag name, that when changed would
affect all IO points with in the drawing. Sort of a
query, which would filter for points from only that plant
name.
Is this possible with Visio?
If so, could you point me in the right direction to find
a database drawing example.
Thanks

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:50:55 GMT
 Visio 2002 as a query tool?
Sheldon:

Your description is of course quite sketchy, so I'm not really sure whether
you mean that the diagram always stays the same, and just the text changes,
or are the diagrams to be drawn from the database?

Anyhow, probably the place to start is the Database Wizard, which give you
some level of functionality without having to do any programming. It's
particularly suited to one-record-one-shape problems, which might be enough,
or at least will help to understand the problem.

Graham

Graham Wideman
Visio 2002 Developer's Survival Pack
diagramantics.com

Quote:
> I have a access 2002 database that contains Plant Names,
> Tagnames, and I/O field device data that I want to import
> into a harware layout  and wiring drawing.  Plant Name is
> primary key.  All harware between plants is the same,
> only variation is in tagname and scaleing information of
> the points.
> My desire is to have one master drawing, with a single
> field point pointed to tag name, that when changed would
> affect all IO points with in the drawing. Sort of a
> query, which would filter for points from only that plant
> name.
> Is this possible with Visio?
> If so, could you point me in the right direction to find
> a database drawing example.
> Thanks

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:34:21 GMT

1. Visio 2000 & Visio 2002 Differences

2. SendToBack in Visio 2000 & Visio 2002

3. COM objects and Visio 2002

4. Disable Visio 2002 while program is working

5. Opening Visio 2002 modally from a .NET Form

6. Visio 2002 - retreieving data from a database

7. XMI import into Visio 2002

8. Converting .vsd to .eps in Visio Professional 2002

9. macro signing in visio 2002 to 2000

10. Visio 2002 & Data Access

11. More Visio 2002/2000 Incompatibilities

12. Visio 2002 incompatibility?