Keeping track of Database changes!?
Author Message
 Keeping track of Database changes!?

I already posted this, but I haven't seen it appear, I might have
messed up, so here's the grit of my question.  When you change an
Access 97 Database object, in any little way, it asks if you want to
save the changes to that object in a message box.  What I want to do is
save some information about that event in a table when I hit 'yes' to
save the changes.  I want to record the object name, person online,
time date, etc.  (I'd also like to have it open an input window that
would allow me to record a memo about what I changed).  Any suggestions
on how to go about doing this?

Drew

--
He who learns but does not think is lost, he who thinks but does not lea

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping track of Database changes!?
Hi,

  There's really no direct way.  You _could_ routinely check the LastUpdated
property of the document object, but that's not updated consistently in
Access 2000.

  Trying to manage this from a hidden form through a Timer might get you
some distance, although I'm not sure if it'll be in the right direction.

  -- Dev

: I already posted this, but I haven't seen it appear, I might have
: messed up, so here's the grit of my question.  When you change an
: Access 97 Database object, in any little way, it asks if you want to
: save the changes to that object in a message box.  What I want to do is
: save some information about that event in a table when I hit 'yes' to
: save the changes.  I want to record the object name, person online,
: time date, etc.  (I'd also like to have it open an input window that
: would allow me to record a memo about what I changed).  Any suggestions
: on how to go about doing this?
:
: Drew
:
: --
: He who learns but does not think is lost, he who thinks but does not lea
:
:
: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping track of Database changes!?
If your database isn't really big, I suggest you use VSS with Access. It
does exactly what you are asking and you can rollback to a previous version
of an object if you so desire. My experience with VSS is that unless you
have hundreds of objects, it doesn't suck too badly.

You need the developer's edition of office and VSS which is part of Visual
Studio.

HTH,
Doug

Quote:
> I already posted this, but I haven't seen it appear, I might have
> messed up, so here's the grit of my question.  When you change an
> Access 97 Database object, in any little way, it asks if you want to
> save the changes to that object in a message box.  What I want to do is
> save some information about that event in a table when I hit 'yes' to
> save the changes.  I want to record the object name, person online,
> time date, etc.  (I'd also like to have it open an input window that
> would allow me to record a memo about what I changed).  Any suggestions
> on how to go about doing this?

> Drew

> --
> He who learns but does not think is lost, he who thinks but does not lea

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. JCN - KEEPING TRACKS OF ALL CHANGES TO RECORDS IN AN ACCESS DATABASE

2. Keeping Track of Database Modifications?!?!

3. Database help - keeping track of records...

4. Database help - keeping track of records...

5. Keeping track of database file location

6. Change Tracking an Access database

7. keeping Track Of Record

8. Keeping track of Users Online

9. KEEPING TRACK OF WORD DOC FILES

10. Keeping track of all those functions!?!?!

11. Keeping track of the time that Outlook was shutdown

12. Program to keep track on how much time you speend connected to internet