Getting data from Comm Port
Author Message
 Getting data from Comm Port

I have been asked to convert an existing QuickBasic App to VB or to
Access.

The application receives ASCII data via serial port from a telephone
switch and writes it to a text file. No modem is involved and there is
no intelligence built into the comm event.

Every 30 minutes (or whenever the phone switch deems appropriate) the
switch shoves straight ASCII data out to a computer through a serial
connection. The QuickBasic program on the PC seems to be polling the
port continuously and when the data starts arriving, it writes it out
to the screen and to a text file (based on current system date).

The PC doesn't know when it's going to start and the switch couldn't
care less as to whether the computer received it or not.

A couple of months ago, I quickly attempted to use the MSComm control
to see if I could figure this out - but I failed miserably. All I did
that time was to attempt to display a message box if I received
anything via the port....

Can anyone give me a little jump start with this??? A code fragment or
two would be helpful.

Hey - you guys (and gals) are great! Thanks in advance......
Ray

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting Data from Serial Port using Comm Control

2. Getting Data from Serial Port using Comm Control

3. Getting Data from Serial Port using Comm Control

4. Getting file via comm port

5. Need help reading data from comm port

6. reading binary data from a comm port

7. Sending data to a comm port that is in use

8. capture data from comm port producing erratic results

9. Unable to send data on comm port

10. Getting COMM to work with Nokia HSCSD Orange Data Card

11. Comm port access or I/O port access

12. How to loop comm port control to read text files through serial port in VB3