Maximum number of records
Author Message
 Maximum number of records

I read on the MS KB that if you the Autonumber as a primary key, a table
can have up to 4 billion records.

Realistically, what would be the max number of rows Access 97 can handle
before you notice a significant slow down?  i understand network and
server traffic plays a part in it.

I have a table that has about 5 fields that employee work status.
therefore everytime they start work in the morning, take breaks and
lunch, change jobs in the day, and stop work for the day, they will be
scanning in and out from the Access db.

I calculated if we had 30 employees and they did a high of 20 scans, in
a month, we would have 14000 records.  We may need to keep 3-4 months of
data before we can archive it.  So we are looking at 42000-56000 number
of records in the table before they can be taken off the server.

Overall, we have about 4 other databases that are in use every day.  All
of these database files currently reside on the server in a multi-user
environment and everyone has a copy of Access on their local HD.

With this in mind, should we be thinking of having a dedicated server
just for dbs? or going to a bigger db system?

Thanks.

Ngan

Sun, 25 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Maximum number of records
Ngan,

With Access, it's not really so much an issue of how many records as what
you do with them.  600 updates a day?  I'd say you'd have no problem.  600
an hour and things start to get tricky.

FWIW

    - Rebecca.

Quote:

> I read on the MS KB that if you the Autonumber as a primary key, a table
> can have up to 4 billion records.

> Realistically, what would be the max number of rows Access 97 can handle
> before you notice a significant slow down?  i understand network and
> server traffic plays a part in it.

> I have a table that has about 5 fields that employee work status.
> therefore everytime they start work in the morning, take breaks and
> lunch, change jobs in the day, and stop work for the day, they will be
> scanning in and out from the Access db.

> I calculated if we had 30 employees and they did a high of 20 scans, in
> a month, we would have 14000 records.  We may need to keep 3-4 months of
> data before we can archive it.  So we are looking at 42000-56000 number
> of records in the table before they can be taken off the server.

> Overall, we have about 4 other databases that are in use every day.  All
> of these database files currently reside on the server in a multi-user
> environment and everyone has a copy of Access on their local HD.

> With this in mind, should we be thinking of having a dedicated server
> just for dbs? or going to a bigger db system?

> Thanks.

> Ngan

Sun, 25 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Maximum number of records
Also, it sounds like you're going to be added records more that accessing them,
so that size is large, but reasonable.  I have worked with weather data for 1
hour time periods over 5 years.  Access slows, but it still works.
Quote:
>With Access, it's not really so much an issue of how many records as what
>you do with them.  600 updates a day?  I'd say you'd have no problem.  600
>an hour and things start to get tricky.

>FWIW

>    - Rebecca.

>> I read on the MS KB that if you the Autonumber as a primary key, a table
>> can have up to 4 billion records.

>> Realistically, what would be the max number of rows Access 97 can handle
>> before you notice a significant slow down?  i understand network and
>> server traffic plays a part in it.

>> I have a table that has about 5 fields that employee work status.
>> therefore everytime they start work in the morning, take breaks and
>> lunch, change jobs in the day, and stop work for the day, they will be
>> scanning in and out from the Access db.

>> I calculated if we had 30 employees and they did a high of 20 scans, in
>> a month, we would have 14000 records.  We may need to keep 3-4 months of
>> data before we can archive it.  So we are looking at 42000-56000 number
>> of records in the table before they can be taken off the server.

>> Overall, we have about 4 other databases that are in use every day.  All
>> of these database files currently reside on the server in a multi-user
>> environment and everyone has a copy of Access on their local HD.

>> With this in mind, should we be thinking of having a dedicated server
>> just for dbs? or going to a bigger db system?

>> Thanks.

>> Ngan

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Maximum Number of Records

2. What is the Maximum number of records in MSFlexGrid?

3. Maximum number sizes

4. Maximum number of users....

5. Is there a maximum number of recipients?

6. Maximum number of information services

7. Maximum number of shapes in a page

8. maximum number DocVars and bookmarks

9. maximum number of users

10. Maximum Number of Controls on a Form

11. What is the maximum limit on the number of identifiers for a project

12. PDS7 : maximum number of files