Updating a single OLE link for a record OR updating existing database
Author Message
 Updating a single OLE link for a record OR updating existing database

Hi

Using
    Q311147    ACC2000: How to Programmatically Change the Paths to Linked
OLE Objects
and
    Q198466    ACC2000: How to Load OLE Objects from a Folder into a Table

I have learned a fair number of things but can't make the jump to my
particular problem solution.

My objective is:

    While viewing a single record on a form
        which has a field defined as an OLE Object field whose purpose is to
display a photo

            I wish to have a button that does almost the same functionality
as

                Right Clicking on the field,  Selecting Insert Object,
Create from File,  Checking Link and then browsing to the folder to find the
file.

    In my case,     I know the folder.   I know the name of the photo if it
exists (created from other fields in the record)

    From the two KB articles above, What I do have working is a function to
determine if the file exists

    The Q311147  article sets the object to be the form.  For my problem, I
need the equivalent of what the article does for the form  but applied to a
particular field on the form instead.
.
The above would allow the user to link the photo on a record by record
basis.  This will be most useful for new records that are added.

An alternate approach would be to Modify   Q198466    to update existing
records.

    This would eliminate the need for the button requested above as the
function could be run periodically to update all the records.

I would like to know how to do both though.

    Your help (and especially code) would be greatly appreciated.

    Mark

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:14:16 GMT
[...]

    From the two KB articles above, What I do have working is a function to
determine if the file exists

    The Q311147  article sets the object to be the form.  For my problem, I
need the equivalent of what the article does for the form  but applied to a
particular field on the form instead.
.
The above would allow the user to link the photo on a record by record
basis.  This will be most useful for new records that are added.

An alternate approach would be to Modify   Q198466    to update existing
records.  Its designed to create an entire new table.  It would seem I need
to combine this with the other KB article as it says you have to delete
existing before you can create the new link.

    This would eliminate the need for the button requested above as the
function could be run periodically to update all the records.

I would like to know how to do both though.

    Your help (and especially code) would be greatly appreciated.

    Mark

Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:37:11 GMT

1. Updating Links in Word 2002, Edit, Links, Select Update Method

2. Single-point updates to MS Graph via OLE?

3. How to avoid single quotes present in fld name while updating a record

4. Deleting all records then adding new ones in a single update

5. Question re updating status of a single record

6. dynamic OLE link updating?

7. Updating the OLE link reference

8. Linked OLE not updated, Why ?

9. Updates To A Linked OLE Object

10. Updating existing records

11. How do I edit/update an existing record?

12. Help: updating text file-Updating Data in a linked table not supported by this ISAM