Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
Author Message
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider

Hi,
Can anyone tell me about the advantages and disadvantages
between "Microsoft Project 2002 Database"  VS. "Microsoft
Project 2002 OLE DB Provider".
I want to update the information in project such as
resource, start date and finish date. Which one would be
better method?
Thanx,
Alan

Mon, 02 May 2005 14:55:19 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
Hi,

The OLEDB provider is read only, so to update you must use the database.
Digest THOROUGHLY the ProjDb.htm file installed in your program 1033 folder
before trying to update a database.

--

Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
add-ons

Rod Gill
Microsoft Project MVP
Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA macros
and Project companion software

Quote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone tell me about the advantages and disadvantages
> between "Microsoft Project 2002 Database"  VS. "Microsoft
> Project 2002 OLE DB Provider".
> I want to update the information in project such as
> resource, start date and finish date. Which one would be
> better method?
> Thanx,
> Alan

Mon, 02 May 2005 17:11:25 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
Hi,
I've read ProjDb.htm file but how I can connect to Project
Database. I use Project 2002 standard edition. I think I
cannot use the sql script to manipulate the database
because we don't have sql server.
If you have any suggestion, I'm really welcome.
Thank you,
Alan
Quote:

Tue, 03 May 2005 09:26:53 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
What database format are you saving in? There are three basic options.
SQL Server
MSDE
Access

If you are using msde then you can run the scripts using isql as is noted in
the setup documents.  Access can be used as the front end to any of these
databases and you can use it to run SQL statements.

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
> Hi,
> I've read ProjDb.htm file but how I can connect to Project
> Database. I use Project 2002 standard edition. I think I
> cannot use the sql script to manipulate the database
> because we don't have sql server.
> If you have any suggestion, I'm really welcome.
> Thank you,
> Alan

Tue, 03 May 2005 09:38:06 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
I use access 2002.
You mean, first of all, I have to save project file
as .mpd. And then use Access as front end to run the
script. Do I understand correctly? I'm really new with
Project.
Regards,
Alan
Quote:

Tue, 03 May 2005 16:27:21 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
Hello Allan

You will use MS Access as back end for MS Project?
so you have to create  a new project and save this
as a MS Access Database        (Saveoptions)

Then Project creates the tables you want. Now you can change values in
tables....

You only have to use the scripts when you want to save the project files
on a database server like sql server, msde or oracle.

i hope you understand my bad english ;-)

mfg Thomas

Quote:
> I use access 2002.
> You mean, first of all, I have to save project file
> as .mpd. And then use Access as front end to run the
> script. Do I understand correctly? I'm really new with
> Project.
> Regards,
> Alan

Tue, 03 May 2005 21:08:07 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
Yes,
You need to save as .mpd or .mdb
Then you can change values in the database being careful to update the flags
which are used to control updates (you can find this information in the
document called projdb.htm) you may still want to write some macros to
manage some of the stuff for you. They would have the same function as the
script.

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.
For Macros and other things check http://masamiki.com/project

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
> I use access 2002.
> You mean, first of all, I have to save project file
> as .mpd. And then use Access as front end to run the
> script. Do I understand correctly? I'm really new with
> Project.
> Regards,
> Alan

Wed, 04 May 2005 03:23:02 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
About macros, can you gave me a example code?
Thanks,
Alan
Quote:

Wed, 04 May 2005 10:49:07 GMT
 Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider
I've got no practice with macros in Access. Some of the folks in the access
newsgroup are pretty helpful.
The sample code in projdb.htm would be a good starting point. Maybe someone
there can tell you how to write something which does the same thing.

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.
For Macros and other things check http://masamiki.com/project

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
> About macros, can you gave me a example code?
> Thanks,
> Alan

Sat, 07 May 2005 02:00:56 GMT

1. Microsoft Project 98 vs 2000, 2002

2. Microsoft Project Server 2002

3. VS.NET 2003 project back to VS.NET 2002

4. Automatically send email by Outlook 2002 from Project 2002

5. No OLEDB 9.0 provider in Project 2002 ?

6. Compare project versions (Project 2002)

7. Project Enterprise Custom Fields - Project 2002

8. VB6 Add-in question for Project 2002 vs 2000

9. Custom field data in Project 2002 Db schema ?

10. vs 2002 or vs 2003 beta Nov 2002

11. Question for Microsoft about Word 2000 and Word 2002

12. Microsoft Access 2002 Status Bar